Old 05-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Rubber Roof Maintenance for Dummies? (Me)

OK, I've watched enough You Tube videos about rubber roof maintenance to make my head spin. The conclusion I've come to is two fold. (1) I should clean and protect the roof periodically with Dicor products. (2) I should eliminate worry about leaks from the very beginning by applying Eternabond tape on the edges and around protrusions (AC, etc). Would anyone care to challenge, enhance or expand on my plan or otherwise increase my head's spin rate? As always, thank you for your input!

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #2

I clean and I inspect my roof about twice a year. If I find any cracked dicor sealant, I clean it and apply more self leveling sealant. If you determine you have a problem area (the dicor cracks or splits repeatedly), then use eternabond. My roof is over six years old and never had a leak, which I credit to regular maintenance.

My problem areas were the front cap seam and one skylight. Eternabond fixed them so far. All the other dicor areas are fine.

I don't see the need to apply eternabond over every seam.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Herschel

roof maintenance for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
OK, I've watched enough You Tube videos about rubber roof maintenance to make my head spin. The conclusion I've come to is two fold. (1) I should clean and protect the roof periodically with Dicor products. (2) I should eliminate worry about leaks from the very beginning by applying Eternabond tape on the edges and around protrusions (AC, etc). Would anyone care to challenge, enhance or expand on my plan or otherwise increase my head's spin rate? As always, thank you for your input!
Perhaps you can relay what you have learned. I have a 2008 Forest River travel trailer. Last year I had to replace the forward six feet or so of roof because my TV antenna seal had cracked and there was underlying damage. the rest of my roof looks very good to me. Some spots here and there, so maybe some cleaning, but no cracks or leaks. Just went over it a couple of days ago. My service tech recently reported I need a new roof because it was beginning to crack. After looking it over, I think he was just trying to make some money. But I watched a U-tube video of an EPDM application. My question is: Do you think I will have to do something drastic like the EPDM coating at some point? If so, how will I know when, if there are no cracks or leaks? I do keep the Dicor self leveling sealant handy. Haven't bought the Eternabond tape, yet.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #4

Ditto mm wildcat.

The problem with rubber roofs is nothing sticks well to them. PVC types are sort of chemically welded. Model airplanes.

Everything is assembled with contact cement. Thus as said it is important to examine seals. Keep It clean so you can see things getting ragged. Carry tape and tubes of repair Material.

Roof leaks are uncommon! It is the seams, connections, penetrations etc that leak.

Rubber membrane is not very tough. Trees are not your friends.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

Roofs and Walking

Good thread. Are all TT roofs generally able to withstand foot traffic? I have the Micro Lite 21FBRS and have been reluctant to climb up on it to inspect. Should I do my best to stay off the mid-section, keeping my weight nearer the outside?
tsargent55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

NMWildcat...

You usually give some good advice, BUT

Quote:
I don't see the need to apply eternabond over every seam.
The reason to do Eternabond now is to not have to do this twice a year ( clean the cracked Dicor and add more Dicor) ...

Quote:
I clean and I inspect my roof about twice a year. If I find any cracked dicor sealant, I clean it and apply more self leveling sealant. If you determine you have a problem area (the dicor cracks or splits repeatedly), then use eternabond.

tomkatb...

Quote:
The problem with rubber roofs is nothing sticks well to them.
Obviously you have never used Eternabond... if it touches anything on the sticky side you WILL have a difficult time getting it off... EVEN RV roofs... and even years later...

Maybe if Eternabond sent FREE samples out then everyone would be convinced that it CAN REPLACE Dicor...

Some say it can be unsightly on the roof, but personally as long as my roof don't leak I could care less what the roof looked like. I will be at 3 years this coming August without a drop of Dicor having to be applied, nor having to do anything other than inspect and wash my roof.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Should I do my best to stay off the mid-section, keeping my weight nearer the outside?
I guess it depends on your weight... I am about 250 and have no problem on my 183 hybrid... an 8 - 10 foot step ladder against the sides is pretty effective

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

There are some manufacturers who Eternabond the seams instead of using Dicor.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Ditto mm wildcat.

The problem with rubber roofs is nothing sticks well to them. PVC types are sort of chemically welded. Model airplanes.

Everything is assembled with contact cement. Thus as said it is important to examine seals. Keep It clean so you can see things getting ragged. Carry tape and tubes of repair Material.

Roof leaks are uncommon! It is the seams, connections, penetrations etc that leak.

Rubber membrane is not very tough. Trees are not your friends.
Here is a link to a product that DOES stick to EPDM and seals perfectly. IT DOES NOT chalk, fade, grow mildew. Burger King uses this stuff to cover all the roofs on their stores in the South. It is bright white and shiny. It actually lowers their air conditioning costs because it reflects sunlight so well.

I used it on our previous camper.

When my current camper needs a roof this is what I am going to be using again.

OneStep Plus | Hot Roofs. Cool Solutions.

You use the 2100MS around all the roof penetrations and then cover with the OneStep Plus.

NO, Im not affiliated with them at all, other than being a VERY satisfied customer
Old 05-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
NMWildcat
You usually give some good advice, BUT

The reason to do Eternabond now is to not have to do this twice a year ( clean the cracked Dicor and add more Dicor)
And I usually agree with you. I would love to seal every seam and protusion with Eternabond, but it is a tad expensive, especially for larger rigs, and when you need to use two different widths. Dicor usually goes years w/o needing any patching except for the few problem areas that every roof has.

The twice a year inspection will happen anyway. I don't usually find any problems, but I'm all about preventative maintenance/inspection. Besides, I'm retired and it keeps me out of most trouble

So my argument about using Eternabond everywhere is mostly based on cost.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof