Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #1

Rubber roof maintence

I have a new to me 1999 Wildwood 25RLSS with a rubber roof, I have resealed the seams that needed it and the roof it self looks to be in physically good shape except for being dirty. I was wandering through the store and they had RV roof wash,supposed to make the roof last longer shine brighter etc.etc. Do these products have any value? or should I just leave it alone?
Thanks Mike Fitz
Mike Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #2

I have used the rubber roof cleaners on our old motorhome (before we bought the Georgetown with the fiberglass roof) and they do work. Also used our electric pressure washer but was careful to keep it a good distance from the surface so as not to do any damage. One of the biggest problems with the rubber roofs is the black streaks that are created on the side of your rig when the rain water runs off, they are a real pain to clean. Best thing I ever did on the old rig was to buy the rubber rain gutter available at Camping World and installed it (it has 3M adhesive tape) on the sides to channel the runoff to the ends of the rig.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

I called the factory for the roof, they told me to use dawn, joy, spic & span, comet, or ajax. Use soft scrub brush. Clean at least 2 times a year and rinse real good. Don't need all the different cleaners. I used dawn on mine. May use spic & span the next time just to get a better clean.

2009 345 RET 5th
Relaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies,I'll have to look closer at the roof products and compare to common cleaners for price and make up my mind.
Mike
Mike Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxed View Post
I called the factory for the roof, they told me to use dawn, joy, spic & span, comet, or ajax. Use soft scrub brush. Clean at least 2 times a year and rinse real good. Don't need all the different cleaners. I used dawn on mine. May use spic & span the next time just to get a better clean.

2009 345 RET 5th
Good to know. I have read about Joy and wanting to try it out. Now that the factory mentions it, I will definitely give it a try before all these expensive cleaners.

--Ryan
Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #6

Word of caution ! Be sure you know if you have a rubber roof or a vinyl roof. You have to be careful what you use on a rubber roof whereas a vinyl roof you can use just about anything that will clean it.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Site Team

We use simple green and water or just turtle wax
car washing shampoo. Usually whatever we are using on
the sides, I just take the bucket up on top and do the
roof at the same time.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote