Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #1

RV Bunk end water damage-repair

2006 Starcraft Travelstar toy hauler, a hybrid travel trailer. Water gets in, and damages what holds it. As you will see in this video, I take on the task of dismantling and repairing the bunk. I am on a timeline as I have a 21 day trip starting in 3+ weeks. Here is part 1.

Any tips or tricks you learn may be by accident, use at your own risk.

JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #2

Nice video. I did a similar repair, twice. I followed the same procedure as you except I didn't remove the door. My damage wasn't as extensive as yours but was at the lower left corner. I found the styrofoam at Micheals , I think it's an odd thickness. Since the wallpaper on mine was white I also found an artist type material covered in gesso, which matched the covering almost perfectly. I used a piece of luan on the bottom that I glued the fiberglass exterior to, then styrofoam then the piece of gesso board. Perfect thickness. I used aluminum stock that I got at home depot and pop riveted it to the existing good part of the door and pop riveted the replacement piece of gesso board to that. White duct tape to tape over seam. It looked pretty good. Also sealed anywhere I thought water could in. Bought Proflex caulk to seal exterior around the frame. We really liked our trailer but everytime it rained I worried. Best of luck to you.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
Nice video. I did a similar repair, twice. I followed the same procedure as you except I didn't remove the door. My damage wasn't as extensive as yours but was at the lower left corner. I found the styrofoam at Micheals , I think it's an odd thickness. Since the wallpaper on mine was white I also found an artist type material covered in gesso, which matched the covering almost perfectly. I used a piece of luan on the bottom that I glued the fiberglass exterior to, then styrofoam then the piece of gesso board. Perfect thickness. I used aluminum stock that I got at home depot and pop riveted it to the existing good part of the door and pop riveted the replacement piece of gesso board to that. White duct tape to tape over seam. It looked pretty good. Also sealed anywhere I thought water could in. Bought Proflex caulk to seal exterior around the frame. We really liked our trailer but everytime it rained I worried. Best of luck to you.
Part 2 is posted. Let me know what you think.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #4

It looks like you did an excellent job, probably better than originally done. It also helps to have a good workshop to do the work in and the necessary tools. At about $400 for repairs you are ahead of buying a new door if you could even get one. I can't see how any water could leak in now. Time will tell. A very nice rebuild.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Thanks Jim. I went in not knowing what this looked like or how far it would take me. Yes, having the shop, resources, and skills to rebuild this ultimately led to a full and complete satifaction that i am happy with. I hope that others can use these videos to know the scale they face before they take on a project this size. Letting water damage go unchecked is destructive. Thanks for watching and the kind feedback. Happy camping.

Tags
bunk, repair, water