Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

RV Cover???

My wife and I recently purchased our first TT. We are very excited and love it so far! However, I am somewhat OCD about maintanence and keeping things is tip top shape. With that said, I am wondering if I should purchase a full cover for our new purchase. Do any of you more experienced campers have an opinion on the matter? If so, what should I look for in a cover and where can I purchase one?
Crosseyed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #2

New TT owner here as well. You can get them from WalMart, Camping World, or from Amazon or your favorite internet retailer. I'm planning on getting one before we park ours for the winter.
lundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Explorer

Congrats’ on the trailer! My first thought is don’t cover it, use it!
I think they’re a good idea. Kind of a hassle to put on but it gets easier the more times you do it. Once it’s on it’s not so easy to get in and out of the camper(at least ours) and I do about 4 times a week. I think it keeps the camper safer from thieves as well as protect it from the enviorment.
I keep mine on for about 3 months during the winter the rest of the year the trailer is either on the road or ready to leave in a week or two. I have a hard time putting the cover on for two weeks or less.
Ours is an ADCO, one of their better models, but the material is still cheap. Before covering I put plastic or rubber or cardboard covers over any protrusion(rain spouts, awning mechanism, door stop……)
If I had the land and the money I would build a shed/barn but the cover works for now.
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

We cover ours in the winter.. Its nice and clean in the spring when we take it out as it was a week ago or so. Cover the rain spouts and anything else that may damage the cover.. we use tennis balls. good luck and enjoy.
jomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
PPST OGCDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed08 View Post
My wife and I recently purchased our first TT. We are very excited and love it so far! However, I am somewhat OCD about maintanence and keeping things is tip top shape. With that said, I am wondering if I should purchase a full cover for our new purchase. Do any of you more experienced campers have an opinion on the matter? If so, what should I look for in a cover and where can I purchase one?
We looked into a cover. Talking with other RV owners some say that the covers can rub the finish on the RVs. We decided in a Metal pole building.
Ours is 15' tall x 18' wide and 36' long. You can check out the following web site: Pole Buildings | Steel Pole Buildings | Newmart Builders Inc.
We went straight to the Newmart Builders and purchased it. It took the contractors (3 persons) 3 1/2 hours to set up
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

Congrats & welcome...............

Just one opinion..... where we live the wind would destroy the camper finish & cover in a year or less....................

So no cover for us just a waste of money............. personally if you plan on keeping a camper a metal cover (building) would be cheaper in the long run.... build it bigger as there probably will be a next bigger one in a few years.........

Ours went 22' ..... 22' ......26'......... 36'...................

A friend of our bought a cover cover for his trailer used it once (40') when he took it off he pulled up the trash can & off to the dump it went................. I have have car covers but they work best in the garage.......... Don't work well outside.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #7

We have a cover for The Beast and this last winter I'm sure glad we did. We had a tree come down in a storm and the branches brushed against the trailer and tore the cover in several places. Without it, we would have God awfull scratches down the sides. The cover saved The Beast. A good investment indeed.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
PPST OGCDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
We looked into a cover. Talking with other RV owners some say that the covers can rub the finish on the RVs. We decided in a Metal pole building.
Ours is 15' tall x 18' wide and 36' long. You can check out the following web site: Pole Buildings | Steel Pole Buildings | Newmart Builders Inc.
We went straight to the Newmart Builders and purchased it. It took the contractors (3 persons) 3 1/2 hours to set up
One other note, we added a 4x4x8 treated post to each corner of the shed. I set each post 3' deep hole and 1 bag of concrete per hole and drilled two holes per post and bolted them to the shed. That took a lot of the sway out of the shed. Before I added the post the rating of the shed was 130 mph winds and 30 lbs snow load.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #9

We have a v-nose trailer so we had to order a custom cover to get a good fit. We have covered it for two winters and have no affects from rubbing. I do admit, we park it where the north wind cannot get to it behind our barn. Before you ask--the barn isn't tall enough to park inside. Built it before I ever thought I would own a trailer. Tennis balls on the downspouts. I'm glad we made the investment. Make sure your cover can "breathe".

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
One other note, we added a 4x4x8 treated post to each corner of the shed. I set each post 3' deep hole and 1 bag of concrete per hole and drilled two holes per post and bolted them to the shed. That took a lot of the sway out of the shed. Before I added the post the rating of the shed was 130 mph winds and 30 lbs snow load.
Great idea ......... I swear there are times (often) that the wind here in SW VA gets close to the 130....... the joy of living on a hill top......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #11

Cover

Purchse the Crusader 270RET a year ago..also bought an ADCO Designer Series 5th Wheel Cover for it..took us a year to finally get it on...wish we had done it sooner..really does a great job in keeping the top cleaner and the sides as well..Do get the ADCO with the Tyvek Roof...more money, but well worth it..it fits well and having the zippered sides really works well in getting in and out during the winter months or just sitting between outings..

Quote:
Attached Images

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #12

Smile

We have a Sunseeker 2860 and I did a lot of research on RV covers and decided to spend the extra bucks on a Calmark cover. In Colorado we usually store the RV from about Oct till May so it's worth it to us. Kinda pricey but you get what you pay for..beside it's Made in the USA.

Get on their web site and ask for a sample package.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #13

We ordered and use the Calmark cover as well. With the v-nose trailer it was custom made and fits like a glove.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
\..really does a great job in keeping the top cleaner and the sides as well..Do get the ADCO with the Tyvek Roof...more money, but well worth it..it fits well and having the zippered sides really works well in getting in and out during the winter months or just sitting between outings..

X2 We have the same on our TT and very happy with it so far. I do wish I could get it as tight and smooth as the one in your pic you. Mine bunches up around the axles.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #15

Best application of cover i've seen to prevent billowing and tears:

Obviously cover all edges and corners with noodles or tennis balls. Apply cover
Tie down with inexpensive web belts/ratches at 3 or 4 locations across roof, down siides and across bottom about 40' each as a girth belts.
Lastly add a longer longitudinal belt front to back and return to front and secure. This belt would be abot 80' made with 15 or 20' secrions. Can buy webinf with ratchets in Wmart or dollar+ stores. Works better than finding your 300+ cover in shreds!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
Take The Road Less Travld

Seems like most people cover their trailer. I have been trying to decide if I was going to or not. Maybe I should. I have a 2013 Roo. Upgrade from a popup trailer that I wish i kept covered. One question, how do you deal with the radio antenna on the roof? Do I just bent it over or does it remove?
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Seems like most people cover their trailer. I have been trying to decide if I was going to or not. Maybe I should. I have a 2013 Roo. Upgrade from a popup trailer that I wish i kept covered. One question, how do you deal with the radio antenna on the roof? Do I just bent it over or does it remove?
Actually most people do not cover their trailers you just hear from the people that do. If you live in an area that is windy I personally do not recommend it. Covers don't last long & can cause paint damage. ( Mine lasted less than 3 months) If it is not windy it is up to you...........

Most RV people I know that have bought a cover either use it once & trash it or after the first season never buy another........

Good Luck......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #18

I covered mine this past winter and it worked great. Keep the unit clean with all the snow ice and rain we had thru the non-camping season. My TT is not that big so it is easy to cover. I did put tennis balls on the gutter spouts and on the awning lever. The radio antenna lays flat. There is a screw on the adjustment ball, so loosen and lay flat.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
I covered mine this past winter and it worked great. Keep the unit clean with all the snow ice and rain we had thru the non-camping season. My TT is not that big so it is easy to cover. I did put tennis balls on the gutter spouts and on the awning lever. The radio antenna lays flat. There is a screw on the adjustment ball, so loosen and lay flat.
Thanks for the input. I will look at the antenna. I live in Ohio so you never know what the weather is going to be like. It can be windy but not for long periods of time. Your talking more of a storm and that's it. Nut the constant rain, ice, snow the sun, then snow again make me concerned about expansion and contraction of items on the roof. Just wanted to know what others did.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
We have a v-nose trailer so we had to order a custom cover to get a good fit. We have covered it for two winters and have no affects from rubbing. I do admit, we park it where the north wind cannot get to it behind our barn. Before you ask--the barn isn't tall enough to park inside. Built it before I ever thought I would own a trailer. Tennis balls on the downspouts. I'm glad we made the investment. Make sure your cover can "breathe".
OLD CAR--Where did you find a cover for the windjammer? I have a 2010 winjammer and can't find one unless I have it custom made.
brianq9 is offline   Reply With Quote