Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #1

Smile RV Cover

Howdy everyone,

I have, what I hope will be, a simple question. We're in the process of winterizing our new Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 231RBXL, and purchased an RV cover at the time we purchased the trailer. Does anyone have a suggestion on the easiest way to get the trailer cover on the trailer? We struggled with it for a short period yesterday, and I managed to crack the roof skylight plastic shroud over the shower stall....not a happy camper, no pun intended. I have repaired the crack, but am stumped how to best get the cover on the trailer. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
audiocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #2

ADCO has some videos on their site about installing an RV cover:

ADCO

YouTube also has a few videos on the topic as well:

YouTube

Hope this helps!

Bob
CavalierBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #3

Most important is to work out which end is which before you roll it out.

Bruc
Old 10-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #4

RV Cover Stuff

Thank you folks for the assist with this; I'll check out the video further!
Old 10-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

We have the Wildwood 22RKS. First off, it takes two to do this tango. When we put the cover on we start at the front. Get the cover ready to go over the nose of the TT and pull the rest up on to the roof. We've found an 8' ladder works best for the ground helper. As you pull the cover over the top to the rear the helper assures a "rough" fit over the nose. Once you get the roof fabric situated over the top from front to back then you can drop the back piece down and start dropping the sides down. Again one person on the roof one on the ground. Watch out for the vents and other roof top obstacles as you have already learned. We've learned the hard way as well. After the TT is "draped" you can adjust the final fit and tie it all together. In the end it's not unlike putting on a large sock on a big foot. One trick is when you take the cover off you can use a 30 gallon garbage can to store it in. Just start stuffing the cover in the can, nose first so when you pull it out for the next use there is no question as to front and back.
Good Luck and
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Thanks Canonman!!

I did look at some video, but many were for conventional Class A or C motor homes; not much for actual travel trailers that I could find. We actually got the cover on, in a similar fashion to your recommendation, but starting from the back first. Although this worked ok, starting from the front would have made it a bit easier because of the trailer sloping nose. Also, the air conditioner if the first thing encountered when you slide the cover from the front; I would think that would make it a bit easier to get over the TV antenna as you moved from front-to-back. I also liked your suggestion regarding the garbage can.....that's next!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocentric View Post
I did look at some video, but many were for conventional Class A or C motor homes; not much for actual travel trailers that I could find. We actually got the cover on, in a similar fashion to your recommendation, but starting from the back first. Although this worked ok, starting from the front would have made it a bit easier because of the trailer sloping nose. Also, the air conditioner if the first thing encountered when you slide the cover from the front; I would think that would make it a bit easier to get over the TV antenna as you moved from front-to-back. I also liked your suggestion regarding the garbage can.....that's next!
You all are most welcome. Yes, since the TT is designed for a front to back flow it just seemed natural to install the cover that way. Plus ours is not equipped with a ladder so the back to front idea didn't come up since we put the 8' A-frame up on the front to get started anyway.
I think we'll head up to Jackson Hole, Teton NP for a few days before putting it all away for the winter.
Glad your install went well and next time will be that much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0363.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	91291  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover