Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

RV Wash - What to you use?

I've done a search, but not did not find the information I was seeking. This is not a question about the roof, but the exterior sides. Does someone have a good reason for using a certain product and not using a certain product. I use NuFinish for the wax and Murphy's Oil Soap for the roof, but that's not the question either, I'm only concerned with the soap to clean the RV.

What RV Wash do you use and why and/or why not using something?

A few name brands are:

Thetford
Star Brite
BEST
Camco
Gel Gloss

There are wash and some that are wash and wax. I've used Thetford Wash and Wax for years, but I may be changing brands.
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

I use regular car wash, then I put F-11 topcoat sealant on her.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #3

I've always heard to treat it just like you would your car. Don't use anything that would strip the finish. Waxes that you put on by hand (or using a buffer) will generally last longer but they are more work.

I don't use any of them that have waxes built in because I hand wax mine.

This is what I used last time. So far so good.

Meguiar's M-5016 Boat/RV Cleaner Wax - Liquid, 16 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXMY8..._VzvRzbTM72F1X
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

I have a forest river product and forest river recommends a mixture of Johnson's baby shampoo and vinigar and water . don't know why.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

re

I use Thetford wash and wax and apply it with my pressure washer and rinse it off with low pressure. If I'm inthe mood I put a coat of Liquid Glass on the cab.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #6

Dawn

Works great.

Even safe for use on animals.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2 View Post
I've done a search, but not did not find the information I was seeking. This is not a question about the roof, but the exterior sides. Does someone have a good reason for using a certain product and not using a certain product. I use NuFinish for the wax and Murphy's Oil Soap for the roof, but that's not the question either, I'm only concerned with the soap to clean the RV.

What RV Wash do you use and why and/or why not using something?

A few name brands are:

Thetford
Star Brite
BEST
Camco
Gel Gloss

There are wash and some that are wash and wax. I've used Thetford Wash and Wax for years, but I may be changing brands.
Logically speaking, I don't believe that there is any one product out there that will suffice everyone's requirements. We live on a vast continent which contains some of the most diverse geographic and climatic conditions. The OP lists Nebraska as there base. What will work for the OP in Nebraska may not be the best for someone based out of Montana or Arizona. Conversely, the products and processes used in the latter may not be the best for Nebraska. We are all "travelers" and tend to cross over into other climates with different types of natural "fallout". So, you may have to amend your cleaning process with different products from time to time. I will state for the record that I stay away from "waxes". I also steer clear of RV branded cleaning products. Just another way for the industry to take your money.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

True, but if It saya for Gel-coat I have to think twice
Old 09-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #9

as a follow up. it has been stated that using a power washer. In past posts things have been mentioned about the graphics being treated differently than the coach. How are the graphics ignored if using a power washer or hose. I am not saying this is wrong, I just don't want the graphics being damaged sooner than their lifetime expectancy. I also want to do it the easiest way possible.
grandpamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #10

You use power washer soap nozzle to spread soap then convert to water with same nozzle and it's low pressure to wash soap of. Use soft brush on a pole where needed
Old 09-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I also steer clear of RV branded cleaning products. Just another way for the industry to take your money.
Regular washing with an inexpensive Car Wash/Wax product will do a lot for preserving the appearance of the RV. A gallon of Car Wash/Wax from your favorite Auto Parts Store or Walmart is inexpensive and the primary benefit is that most contain simple anti-spotting additives.

Buying washing products with RV branding is like buying shampoo in a Barber Shop/Hair Salon. Same basic stuff with more profit for the seller.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #12

Depending on how dirty my RV or car is I use a waterless product called The Solution. It is perfect for Gel-Coats.

After "washing" mine once in an RV park a guy came over telling me he owned a Napa Automotive store and he had nothing that worked as well as The Solution.

In fact, when I was full-timing on the DP I would carry a couple extra gallons because I was often able to sell a gallon or two at a profit if people saw me using it.

And it really works great on windows. After using bugs easily wash off.

Anyway, here is information from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...ijghfiiw_b_p19
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Dawn

Works great.

Even safe for use on animals.

M-Bob
I have an area above the cab that the RV washband wax was leaving dirty. I used Dawn on it yesterday and now it is clean.

You can add some vinegar to the Dawn solution to help with spotting.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #14

I use regular car wash and gel gloss for black steaks.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #15

I have had great luck with this product. One step, wash, and wax. I have been using it for about 4 years and it never fails when I am camping someone asks how I keep my rig so shiny. I use this and when I arrive at the camp site I use a California duster.
Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax - 128 oz Online - IS dealz
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have an area above the cab that the RV washband wax was leaving dirty. I used Dawn on it yesterday and now it is clean.

You can add some vinegar to the Dawn solution to help with spotting.
There was a session at the Goshen rally this year, with Todd Breden (FR Prime Time) on fiberglass and paint. He specifically said NOT to use Dawn on fiberglass. He is aware of or has done tests that showed that Dawn will "eat" the fiberglass. It gets into the pores of the fiberglass and does its damage. His specific recommendation was to use your favorite auto wash. He did call Maguires and Mothers out as good wax products and recommended Maguires as having the best bang for the buck.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
There was a session at the Goshen rally this year, with Todd Breden (FR Prime Time) on fiberglass and paint. He specifically said NOT to use Dawn on fiberglass. He is aware of or has done tests that showed that Dawn will "eat" the fiberglass. It gets into the pores of the fiberglass and does its damage. His specific recommendation was to use your favorite auto wash. He did call Maguires and Mothers out as good wax products and recommended Maguires as having the best bang for the buck.
Dawn or any dish liquid will strip all the natural oils from the paint and eventually ruin it. Don't believe me, check with a paint manufacturer.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #18

We've been using both GelGloss and Thetford products for more than 30 years. I used Gel Gloss Wash and Wax on my previous TT for 12 years, and when we traded it in, the dealership said t looked almost new. My technique was to put 2-3 oz. in a bucket and half-fill with warm water. Using a wet towel on one section of the side wall at a time. Then wipe it dry with a clean, dry towel. Always left a smooth, dry surface with no streaks. Roughly twice yearly we would also wax each section the next day with Gel Gloss Polishing Wax. Time consuming and labor intensive, but it gives you the opportunity to look closely at every square inch of your RV to check for dings or scrapes.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #19

We use waterless - so we can clean the coach even in a RV Park that does not allow washing.

Best stuff out there is Wash Wax All - the more you use it the better it protects - so well that June Bugs literally fall off the front of out coach.

https://washwax.com/
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
We use waterless - so we can clean the coach even in a RV Park that does not allow washing.

Best stuff out there is Wash Wax All - the more you use it the better it protects - so well that June Bugs literally fall off the front of out coach.

https://washwax.com/

That stuff is pricey! How much do you need to clean your-sized trailer and what size is it? Thanks.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote