Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

screws pushing up on roof membrane

Well I am a new owner of a 2015 Flagstaff 27rlws. Everything has been great but I noticed on the side edge of the roof there are 3 places where it looks like the screws were not screwed down all the way and are putting pressure on the membrane> I am afraid they will eventually poke thru. I am taking it back to CW but don't know what the real fix should be and what they will want to do.
Any suggestions or experience on what the fix should be? I don't want them to just caulk over it.

Thanks for the help in advance. I learned a lot thru the forums allready
Mo 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Same thing mine is in the shop for. They will either peel the sides up and refasten the molding, which is plastic, or peel the whole roof and redo all of it. There is another unit in the shop add mine with the exact same problem.
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Must be a common problem then. They should hopefully know how to fix it then
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

As soon as I hear what was done on mine, I'll post it here to let ya know. Mine has been there since the 9th, and they are just getting approval. Kind of ridiculous for a brand new unit.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #5

This is my 1st new TT and I really dont understand all the warranty approval issues. Evidently the manufacturers dont trust the dealers like the car manufactuers do and just let them repair them and get reimbursed.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

That's it in a nut shell. What the dealer/repair center feels they need to do to fix it, doesn't always coincide with what the factory thinks. The factory usually goes with the cheapest was they "think" to do the repair. The dealer/repair center won't do anything until they know what they will be reimbursed for by the factory. Unfortunately, this usually takes a few weeks. What I do personally, is fix minor things myself. Then during the year I make a list if things that need fixing (obviously not emergency items) and at the end of the camping season, I bring it to the dealer to fix. This was I'm not out any lost camping time. Feel free to pm me with any questions you might have. Be happy to help you along.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #7

Thanks , let me know what they did to fix it.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

I am having the same problem with the caulking on top. FR says that one must do proper maintenance in order to keep the warranty. Unfortunely, FR does not follow what they preach. They will not warranty a leak if caused by improper maintenance such as caulking. I just purchased a FR trailer about 4 months ago, it came from the factory with poor caulking and they are not approving it for the dealer to fix. It sounds like a common problem coming from the factory.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #9

Do you have a leak? I noticed the caulking on mine looked like it was done by a 10 year old. Very poor job.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #10

Angry

The dealer just heard back from Forest River and they are denying the warranty work on the roof. Guessing nobody from FR reads these forums to see that there is an obvious problem with the roof coming out. Anyone have any contact info for FR? Thanks!
Old 10-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
The dealer just heard back from Forest River and they are denying the warranty work on the roof. Guessing nobody from FR reads these forums to see that there is an obvious problem with the roof coming out. Anyone have any contact info for FR? Thanks!
The dealer told you that fr denied the claim?
1) the dealer shouldn't have even worked on it without authorization, unless they haven't.
2) I think you should call fr warranty and ask them if the claim was denied by them and if so, why?

Call Jeff Johnson
(574) 534-4574
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:25 AM   #12

Will call first thing in the morning! The dealer hasn't done any work at all. They were waiting on FR to approve the work. Thanks for the contact!
Old 10-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
Will call first thing in the morning! The dealer hasn't done any work at all. They were waiting on FR to approve the work. Thanks for the contact!
m

I would love to know how it has worked out with your warranty work.

I am astonished on how arrogant FR are not to acknowledge the problem on your units roof. It's obvious it a problem that was caused by an installer stripping out the screws into the wood or whatever the materials they screw down into.

I hope it all works out well for you guys.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #14

Ours is in the shop now for screws backing out on roof. They are on a line with the front of the front AC. I went on roof to check for storm damage and found them. One month out of warranty. I had serviced roof 2 months before and dealer had checked it for my warranty for ever and found nothing. FR approved it as a build issue.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #15

Just got off the phone with Greg Johnson from Foret River. They WILL NOT approve warranty work on the roof. According to him, it is purely cosmetic and does not affect the coach whatsoever. He also said the radius is attached with staples that will come loose when the coach frame flexes going down the road. So I guess it's normal for roof radius to come loose? He said it's been documented and if there are any membrane tears that can be attributed the radius coming loose that they will cover it then. Simply amazing.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #16

Just got off the phone with the dealer. The work is done, the found more problems than first FR approved and had to resubmit for it. I told them I want to check the roof when we pick it before we hook up the TV. That should be tomorrow, the trailer is blocked in the shop right now (the new shop is huge). It is raining here today.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #17

"Just got off the phone with the dealer. The work is done, the found more problems than first FR approved and had to resubmit for it."

"Just got off the phone with Greg Johnson from Foret River. They WILL NOT approve warranty work on the roof. According to him, it is purely cosmetic and does not affect the coach whatsoever. "

Sounds like you guys are comparing an apple to a bowling ball. Forget Forest River. One is Sierra, the other Coachmen. Two different factories with different warranty departments, even in different locations. Coachmen is a little more independent than all the the other brands. I would still try and use that somehow Wumba. Maybe call and raise a little hell with Sierra that Coachmen stands behind their product or something.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #18

The difference may be the dealer!!! Ours, RV General Store, may have done a better job selling the repair to FR. Ours was a month out of warranty and the rep at the dealer said this is a build issue, they will fix it. The service rep wanted to know how it had been missed in the annual check-up, and was upset about that! I think the dealer makes all the difference. We have dealt with this dealer since they opened in 1982.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #19

I actually have nothing but good things about the dealer. The service manager is resubmitting the paperwork and said it's unacceptable, especially when he has another unit in the shop that has the same issues and was approved for warranty work. Really starting to lose respect for forest river at this point.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #20

Good luck.

Tags
roo, roof