Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #1

Sealant Package??

We are getting ready to purchase a new SOB bunkhouse TT.
The best camper at our price is at the local CW where we purchased our hybrid TT new.
They guy from the finance department offered to sell us a "Sealant Package" for $1,999 extra.
We were told this prevents cold from coming in under the camper, leaks from the roof and the camper from fading in the sun.
My first thought was, shouldn't it do this already? I guess that is a topic for another conversation.....
He was not able to go into detail as to what they actually do.
Obviously we said no thanks.
He said to ask around, it is totally worth the cost and we can add it later.
I have done a search online and I don't even see this service on their website.

Anyone heard of this or have something like this done?
I would consider doing this myself, but I am not even sure what I would be doing.
Thoughts?
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

It also makes about half his house payment but I bet he forgot to mention that, didn't he.

I would RUN from Camping world and look any/everywhere else to buy your next camper.

Watch this before you go back, if you decide to ignore my suggestion.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #3

sounds like a money making scam to me. I don't do business with places that run their business that way.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #4

Sad thing is, they have been way more upfront with the deal than 2 other local dealers. Others show the payment, but not the terms.

At least they were obvious that they were trying to rip me off!
2011 Chevy Traverse (traded 2018)
2014 Solaire 147X (traded 2019)
RamsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

Rams Fan,

Don't forget who the customer is. You have the right to ask for anything you want to see. You have the right to know what the full terms are (interest rate/length of loan/Payment). You have the right to ask to see a factory invoice. Many dealers now post those along with the pictures on their websites. This is helpful in determining what is on the trailer before they try to tell you want the other additional charges are.

If they balk at providing the above minimum information, run out of there before they screw you and find another dealership. I actually think it's easier to negotiate by email and phone than in person and it really takes a lot of the more proven tactics of some of the shady salespeople/dealers out of play.
You ask/They provide. They don't provide, You ask again telling them your still waiting on that before you can make a decision. They delay or don't provide, you just politely call and remind them again your still waiting on XYZ. They will either give you what you ask for or move on at which point, so can you to another dealer.

I had all of the above along with a Purchase agreement fully completed showing what I would be paying down, Interest rate and term in months before I ever left my home to go to the dealer that was 90 minutes away. I walked in, we went and did a PDI, I asked them to correct a few things and told them I had decided to pay cash instead of finance the $7,500 I was going to owe after my trade in/payoff of old loan. I went to the bank while they finished my requests, put a battery on it, filled the water tanks so I could do a final test of all the systems.

When I returned, we did that, I signed the paperwork, handed them the check and headed home about 4 hours after I had walked in. From my first phone call to let them know I was interested in buying a specific camper from them to me driving out of the lot owning it free and clear was a total of 5 days. About 3 of those were because I was shopping finance costs with my own lenders vs. just accepting "what they could get me" for a rate.

Good Luck in making a decision your happy with but don't be afraid to stand your ground on what you want to make sure your happy with whatever deal you make.

Tags
seal