Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

Sealant, roof - after replacement

Last year our coach went back to the factory for a roof replacement. When it came back we noticed that the front (cap area) leaks. We have contacted Forest River and they tell us to reseal the seam where the roof meats the front cap.
Upon visual inspection, the seal looks good. But, it still leaks... What would be the best caulking to use here?
Many thanks in advance!
scusset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scusset1 View Post
Last year our coach went back to the factory for a roof replacement. When it came back we noticed that the front (cap area) leaks. We have contacted Forest River and they tell us to reseal the seam where the roof meats the front cap.
Upon visual inspection, the seal looks good. But, it still leaks... What would be the best caulking to use here?
Many thanks in advance!
I would put 6" wide esterbond tape over it instead. (Spelling on tape) wrong, you can get it on Amazon. I would do the front and back caps, then you never have to worry about it again.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #3

Eternabond tape. Just wipe clean first. Goes right over caulk thats there
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #4

Eternabond

read all about it here
EternaBond

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #5

Here's a link to the 6" Eternabond I purchased for my camper.

WHITE Eternabond Mobile Home RV Rubber Roof Repair 6" x 10' - 10 Foot, 10 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SHW98Q..._BcCXCbPNSZAVN
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #6

I would tell FR, NO. It is their responsibility to replace a leak free roof. Tell them that a roof from RVRoof.com will satisfy your roof issues and you do not want your RV back at the factory while you make payments. If this is a dead end than Eternabond tape is a good way to go.
If you want to caulk. Dicor and Sikaflex make good self leveling caulks. This is what you want on the roof but, make sure it is compatibile with your roof material. I know Dicor makes self leveling caulks for fiberglass and rubber/TPO.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #7

If have a 2011 Georgetown, Has leaked ever since we bought it, took it back to Georgetown FR replaced the whole roof, 3 months later leaking again $6000 to fix, 2 yrs later another leak, Just paid another 6k for slide leaking because of poor construction, These are junk
Camp jayco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, roo, roof, seal