Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #1

Sealing the edges of an EPDM roof

I'm going through my annual maintenance, sealing up the roof seams and I have a section of roof, above the rear entry door of my trailer which is lifting up. There has been several inches of rain lately so there is some water intrusion and a small section of carpet is damp next to the entrance door.

Can anyone suggest how I seal up along the edge of the trailer? I'm sure I need to glue the EPDM down but I'll also need to seal along the roof's edge. I'm thinking if I detach the gutter and seal the edge with eternabond that I may be OK.

That patch is a bondo patch from a dent the previous owner put into the trailer. I just need to sand and paint it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190228_134814.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	197817Click image for larger version

Name:	20190228_134812.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	197818Click image for larger version

Name:	20190228_134808.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	197819
Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #2

I'm going to be using eternabond to seal all four roof edges along with all the roof accessories (Vents/AC/TV Antenna/etc) on my fall purchased camper once the weather breaks. after having 2 campers, 1 used that had significant water damage and 1 new that had a leak that I caught and repaired, I am of the belief it's a good investment and preventative action to prevent water intrusion and damage.

Here are some links to videos, many of which I have watched in preparation of my spring project. Hope they help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=eter...w=1536&bih=722
Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

You will hear from several members to use Eternabond. There are lots of threads on the subject. I imagine some will say to remove the bondo first, but you might try sanding it down and apply Eternabond right over it without painting. The eternabond will stick to it.

See EternaBond for all the documentation you will ever need for its application. Also see the Library section of this forum for the application documentation.
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Awnings, Roofs and Exterior
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #4

Excellent. That looks like what I'll do. Just picked up another 50' from CW so this should finish it off.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako88fan View Post
Excellent. That looks like what I'll do. Just picked up another 50' from CW so this should finish it off.
Please...don't support CW...they're terrible...overpriced, and never ending horror stories regarding service and customer- no- support. I live in Orlando...and just so you know, the Citrus Bowl has been renamed Camping World Stadium...so, your inflated cost for the eternabond tape is going for things like football stadium sponsorship agreements ... ugggh. Really, they're the worst. Buy your stuff online from a small business that actually cares about your satisfaction.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #6

How do you know where the leak is? The EPDM membrane is behind the rain gutters, usually stapled. A strip of butyl tape is between the rain gutter and the membrane. The complete sandwich, outside in is:
--Rain gutter
--Butyl tape
--EPDM Membrane
--Aluminum siding
--1x2 pine ribbon across the ends of the roof truss.

Unless the roof gutter was really mashed, it seems unlikely that water is intruding there.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Ebay still seems to be the cheapest place to buy Eternabond tape with Amazon being a close second. Prices at Ebay starting about $47. for a 4 inch by 50 foot roll. Prices at Amazon look to be starting about $51. for the same.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #8

Used this. Worked great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/USEAL-US...2AF6/202086180
Tommy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #9

From the looks of the pics, that edge of roof is open. Last summer I rubbed a tree limb and opened up the seam on same side. I flattened the drip rail. Took off a 8' section, cleaned the rubber and let dry. I would check the wood under there for any wet problems. I bought a 8' roll of 6" EPDM, put enough over edge for drip rail to cover and rolled the rest over onto the roof. Your unit being 2008, is probably ready for a full coating. Mine is a 2010, and was very rough looking. I bought Dicor cleaner and paint, and did the whole roof. Roofs need cleaning and mine didn't look like it had ever been done. I purchased in 2018.
boatcat AH6NR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
Please...don't support CW...they're terrible...overpriced, and never ending horror stories regarding service and customer- no- support. I live in Orlando...and just so you know, the Citrus Bowl has been renamed Camping World Stadium...so, your inflated cost for the eternabond tape is going for things like football stadium sponsorship agreements ... ugggh. Really, they're the worst. Buy your stuff online from a small business that actually cares about your satisfaction.
I have had good and bad experiences in my local Camping World. When I need something that I can't wait for Amazon, I go there. And there are employees at CW that are local to me, live in my community and I'm willing to support to know that, in a pinch, I can get a critical part for my RV.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
How do you know where the leak is? The EPDM membrane is behind the rain gutters, usually stapled. A strip of butyl tape is between the rain gutter and the membrane. The complete sandwich, outside in is:
--Rain gutter
--Butyl tape
--EPDM Membrane
--Aluminum siding
--1x2 pine ribbon across the ends of the roof truss.

Unless the roof gutter was really mashed, it seems unlikely that water is intruding there.

Larry
I took the entire 15' trim/gutter section off and determined that about a 6 foot section of the EPDM was open. I was able to slide my hand right under it. Water had been running down under the roof and into that gash then into the corner of the trailer and between the wall. I have a big LED floodlight that at night I pointed at that exterior wall and you can see a bubble from the roof to the window.

It looks like I'll be replacing the plywood on the roof then the EPDM in sections and then resealing the entire roof.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy G View Post
I doubt this has anything near the 10 year warranty Eternabond has.
You will never go wrong using Eternabond to repair rips or punctures of any kind on any type of roof. They even make rubber membrane for S&B homes.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. I worked all weekend on sealing the edges and have no more water intrusion. All I have left to do is to put the rain gutter back on, however the one I have is in bad shape so I'll have to order a new one. I'll take pictures when I'm done.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #14

Which side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako88fan View Post
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. I worked all weekend on sealing the edges and have no more water intrusion. All I have left to do is to put the rain gutter back on, however the one I have is in bad shape so I'll have to order a new one. I'll take pictures when I'm done.
It looks like this is the side with no awning. That's this item . This seller wants you to buy a 20' piece, but cuts it into five 4' pieces before shipping. You might be able to find someone to ship it as larger lengths. An image is posted.

This is the awning side from a different company. They ship 8' lengths. They probably have the non-awning side too. I can't include their image.

Larry
Attached Images

Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, seal