Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Seam Sealing with Eternabond

I am about to do some preventative maintenance on the roof of my Cardinal and am wondering whether I need to remove all of the caulking that is there now at the joint between roof caps and roof. I assume that this is additional lap sealant and that there may already be Eternabond strips underneath it. I believe Forest River uses it in their manufacturing process. I am concerned that trying to get rid of all the caulk will cause me to tear part of the rubber roofing. I have talked to some that say they just clean it up and apply new caulk over top. Thoughts?
NotNearlyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Not at all. Just prime and tape right over the existing caulk. If there are obvious holes or deep cracks I would tough them up with Dicor Self Leveling Lap sealant prior to taping. Not required; it is just what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 035.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	33654  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Denver, CO

great picture.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Not at all. Just prime and tape right over the existing caulk. If there are obvious holes or deep cracks I would tough them up with Dicor Self Leveling Lap sealant prior to taping. Not required; it is just what I did.
Thanks so much. For the photo as well.
NotNearlyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Since I had several feet of 6 inch seam sealer after I did the front and back seams, I did the roof under the antenna. The dents in the EB at the antenna feet assure me that it was the right thing to do. The rubber roof would have holes there by now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	33683  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Never Leak RV Roofing

Seam Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNearlyNormal View Post
I am about to do some preventative maintenance on the roof of my Cardinal and am wondering whether I need to remove all of the caulking that is there now at the joint between roof caps and roof. I assume that this is additional lap sealant and that there may already be Eternabond strips underneath it. I believe Forest River uses it in their manufacturing process. I am concerned that trying to get rid of all the caulk will cause me to tear part of the rubber roofing. I have talked to some that say they just clean it up and apply new caulk over top. Thoughts?
If your caulking is cracked and split I would take it off with a dull putty knife it comes up pretty easy, then clean with acetone and a rag, tape seams with 4" Tape-Kote fibered backed seam tape then seal with Safe-T-Plex Acrylic Elastomeric RV Roof Coating, Prime the rest of your roof then coat with Safe-T-Plex Acrylic Elastomeric RV Roof Coating made with 100% acrylic resin, safe-t-plex will never dry out, chalk, or crack resistant to impact, temperature extremes. 92% reflective, self cleaning, no need to re-coat and provides long term maintenance free protection up to 20 years or more.
rvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Seems like you know what you are about....

Are you an RV repair technician?