Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Question Side wall delamination

Any idea about possible repair costs or options for a rear delamination? I have a 2008 salem la 246 rlbs, 2 years after we bought the camper Dave's RV replaced the roof due to it cracking all over, we hadn't used the RV during the last year and keep it stored at a storage facility. We went out to check on the RV and found these large "bubbles" on the rear of the RV. The inside wall also has soft spots. No one from Dave's ever said anything about "checking the caulking" to us and i dont know if thats where the problem even is. I don't deny I should have payed more attention to the RV. Now my problem is what to do? I have heard that people have taken their unit to the factory and had repairs made for free or greatly discounted. This is my second salem and I've been rather disappointed, my first salem was a metal side and we had no problems with it, in fact we sold it my brother and he is still using it trouble free and never having to make repairs. This salem seems to have one leak problem after another and I can't help thinking the leaking roof that had to be replaced has leaked again and caused this. Sorry for the rambling just disappointed things finally get to where we can start using our RV again and we find this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I called Dave's RV (our dealer) and the service guy acted irritated that I was calling and seemed annoyed when asking questions and was no help
Grandokieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #2

Contact the manufacturer. Forest River Companies all have very good response to customers. We have a Cedar Creek and have been to the factory several times, they have bent over backward, doing hand stands helping us. Many of the issues were "me" made and they even worked out those problems.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Site Team

i seriously doubt FR will take back a 5 year-old TT with delam, especially since it didn't occur during the 2 year factory warranty.

they have taken back those that had issues DURING the 2 year warranty period and it still wasn't fixed by the dealer.

but, it's worth a try but you even admitted that you didn't maintain the roof's caulking.
there info in the owner's manual about maintaining it being the owner's responsibility.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

I don't expect them to "take it back" but I'm Hoping they will help get it fixed, a side note FR did repair a considerable amount of damage to the interior already after the warranty ran out do to the roof being defective, it was in a different place. Why is it metal side campers don't seem to have this roof leaking problem, I thought I was buying the upgraded camper when I bought the fiberglass side? Thanks for the info mike, I've read in several other FR sites dedicated to different types of FR campers that they was very helpful with this problem
Grandokieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandokieboater View Post
I don't expect them to "take it back" but I'm Hoping they will help get it fixed, a side note FR did repair a considerable amount of damage to the interior already after the warranty ran out do to the roof being defective, it was in a different place. Why is it metal side campers don't seem to have this roof leaking problem, I thought I was buying the upgraded camper when I bought the fiberglass side? Thanks for the info mike, I've read in several other FR sites dedicated to different types of FR campers that they was very helpful with this problem
First things first. There are many reasons for delamination. Most of the time it is not a water problem, not saying it is not in your case but I would think not. I would drill a small hole in the bubble, if water comes out then of course it is due to water damage if nothing comes out then it would be a glue problem or the fiberglass. They also have a moisture meter that will tell how much moisture is in the wall. The boating industry was pleauged with this problem on boat hulls. they were called blisters. I would call FR and ask them how this could have happened. I would hope that they would stand behind their products...
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote