Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #1

Silicone by doors and storage compartments

Well after our trip to Mount Rushmore (pics still to come) we had a small amount of water come in one night after a heck of a rain storm one night.. Maybe about 4-6 tablespoons worth on the foam of our bed.. I checked and figure I got it around from around the antenna opening in the roof.. Got that, but thought I'd take it in to a dealer to have it checked out for the warranty.. They checked and couldn't duplicate it, so I think that one is fixed...

While it was in I had them look at the silicone around the door to the siding.. It had started to crack and I noticed some small gaps in it.. With the warranty ending at the end of August, I thought I'd get it done that way.. The dealer tech that I spoke with, who wasn't who we bought it from, said he'd never seen one from the factory that had that kind of caulking installed.. It was a hard, non flexible kind (I forgot the name) and when it dries, it is like cement and makes for any panel replacement in the future almost impossible.. They fixed it and it looks alot better...

The other night we had another good rainstorm here, and I when it was done, I noticed some water in the front storage compartment. Not lots, but enough to pi$$ me off.. I checked and low and behold found the silicone around the doors was cracked..I had a new tube of RV silicone, so I got them all dried up and redid those ones..

When the RV tech I took it to for the door called the factory, they were trying to say it was "normal wear and tear".. They said there is no way it is and that it was a poor installation at the factory.. They did get it done as warranty.. I just thought I'd post so others could run a check on theirs and fix, before there is a wreck.. Last summer we had no water all come in.. Now this year we've had 2 incidents of it...

Our trailer is a 2013 26tbqb by Revere..

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, storage