Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

silicone sealant

Have been reading through the forums and I dont know if I am understanding some of them correctly..Is it ok to use silicone sealant around the windows and the running lights? We are needing to replace the factory sealant and dont want to use the wrong stuff. We have the eternabond for the roof if needed, but I have read in some of the posts that silicone isnt a good choice. Can someone clarify for us? thanks
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #2

Prime Time uses TremPro 644 RTV Silicone. I'm sure your dealer wll have the correct caulk on hand, so you might check with them.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

this info is from Trempro:
"quote "Despite common mythology, silicone sealants are safe for aluminum and do have an important (but narrow) place in vintage trailer restoration. While we recommend using only polyurethanes (like TremPro 635 and 636) for most applications, silicone works better in a few applications. Here are a few examples:

1. Use as a plastic to metal adhesive (like applying the finish bead to Fan-Tastic vents and fans).
2. Use as a glass to metal adhesive (like bedding 1966 and 1967 Airstream Corning glass).
3. Use as a weatherstrip adhesive for silicone rubber weatherstrips and gaskets.
4. Use as a caulk when doing plumbing with kitchen and bath fixtures.

It is difficult to find silicone RTV in black and aluminum colors. To help with vintage trailer restoration, we sell quality TremPro 644 silicone RTV in black and aluminum colors, only.

TremPro 644 RTV is a one-part, acetoxy silicone sealant that cures to a flexible rubber when exposed to moisture present in the air. It has a vinegar odor when first applied. TremPro 644 RTV is specially designed for sealant joints between most non-porous materials such as glass, aluminum, metal and metal alloys "quote"
you see they basically recommend it as an adhesive(between)in most cases,but ok for use inside for plumbing applications. i have used "Dicor" caulk on seams and around outside fittings,held up so far !
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
this info is from Trempro:........
..........we sell quality TremPro 644 silicone RTV in black and aluminum colors, only..............
The Tempro 644 Silicone RTV that I have is clear!

Maybe they need to update their info or maybe they quit producing it in clear?
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
The Tempro 644 Silicone RTV that I have is clear!

Maybe they need to update their info or maybe they quit producing it in clear?
no,sorry. that info was from a supplier....it is still made in a variety of colors and clear.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Some silicones don't stick worth a darn. Shortly after bringing my trailer home, I noticed the two drain spouts on the left rear (one slide-out, and one roof) were missing. With other problems I had with the trailer, I presumed they probably missed them. By the silicone on the trailer however, they were there once, but the silicone didn't hold them, Installed new ones with Liquid Nails. So far working o. k. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote