Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Skylight issue.

We decided to driveway camp last night. Long story short we forgot to crack windows/bathroom vent and woke up with lots of moisture on the windows. It rained some yesterday and this morning I noticed condensation in the skylight over the shower. I have never noticed this before today. I'm thinking it's either one of two things. Condensation due to not cracking windows or I've got myself a leak. I'm leaning towards the first option because it's not very much condensation. I'm thinking there would be more if it would have leaked.

Also I noticed from the inside that the corners are NOT insulated, which I'm going to fix whether I have a leak or not.

Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

It has also been around 45 degrees outside and about 70 in the camper. I'm also thinking it could be the temperature difference.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

I don't know if I can help, but I have a question. Does your shower skylight have a single pane or double pane? A single pane would very likely have condensation, especially one mounted in the ceiling. Our Sunseeker has a double pane skylight and I haven't noticed condensation even when it was below freezing outside, except after we took showers.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

It's double pane. I'm thinking it's because we didn't crack our windows the past two nights there was so much water on the windows on the inside that it looked like they got hosed. I opened bathroom vent and got a lot of the condensation out. Spraying roof with water + checking seals soon to see what's going on.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #6

Looking further though the forum posts, I saw one titled Skylight Recall that discusses cracks that result in condensation. Check it out to see if it applies to your RV.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

We also get lots of condensation on our side windows in cold weather, but the side windows are all single pane. With the shades down the windows are to some degree insulated from the heat of the coach, so the glassgets even more condensation than if the shades weren't down.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Thanks. I checked but it doesn't apply. Can I remove the inside pane?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

i'm going to be in the same boat as ramblerguy. if it is all over, it's probably just condensation.
a couple yrs ago, i noticed the ceiling damp after a rain. went on top and couldn't see anything wrong with the seal but as i looked closer, my skylight had a small crack (from the edge going up). apparently that was leaking. sealed that and the leak was gone.
mine has an outer skylight attached to the roof and an inner one attached to the ceiling.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Skylight Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey9712 View Post
Sorry, but I can't answer that question. It's most likely that someone in the forum can answer your question.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #11

grey9712, check out these post.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post333710

may want to start at the beginning. is this similar to what ur seeing?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

I read about that a little bit earlier. It wasn't near that much condensation just like a fog on the inside of the roof bubble. There was only a little bit of visible water and it wasn't enough to drip onto the top of the inside bubble. I'm going to driveway camp again tonight and crack windows. I'll post back what happens. I'm hoping it's just from not opening windows and big difference of temp. Inside and out.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Also, if this helps, I've had the camper covered all winter and just uncovered a couple of days ago. I don't think the cover would cause the seals to deteriorate enough for a leak but anythings possible. Just got camper last October brand new with seals imspected from the dealer. It's a grey wolf 26 bh sorry I'm just telling that.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #14

mine was several years old when it cracked.
if u had said one of the 14 X 14 was dripping, i've had that happen in the bathroom in the winter. in that case, it was condensation.
hopefully, simple condensation will be ur problem.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #15

Did you view my pictures of the moisture at the beginning of the thread? I'm just wondering because everything is being posted from my droid and i wanted to make sure they are visible.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #16

i did but looked just like condensation. lighting (and my vision) made it difficult to see the edges.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey9712 View Post
You should be able to remove the inner part. Our two part skylight has never leaked, thankfully, but was dirty from construction. When I removed the inner piece I found that the sides were open to the the rest of the roof system. I'll call it the attic. Between insulation and saw dust it was a mess. I vacuumed out all the debris and cleaned the 2 pieces and then sealed the edges. This may be where the cold is getting to the inner piece causing the condensation. We driveway camp when it's cold out and use the shower and have not had any condensation issue between the skylight panels since I sealed off the edges.
To seal the edges I used foam rubber from packaging and covered with aluminum tape. It's not a large gap, probably less than 2 inches at the widest spot.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote