Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
New Flagstaff Owner

Slight Roof Leak

I have a new 2009 Flagstaff 27bhss bought in July. The last few times it has rained there has been a little bit of water accumulated inside the trailer in one of the insets of the center entertainment console. It is not much but has gotten a little worse over the last several weeks. I am sure it is coming in through one of the holes for cabling or at the antenna on the roof. All of the caulking is in good shape as the trailer is new. Can I just go over it with some more caulk? Are there any special considerations? What kind of caulk should I use? I have heard of Dicor. Is that only available at RV specific stores?

Thanks,
Dave

The roof is vinyl by the way.
ddossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Dicor is for rubber roofs......if you truly have a vinyl roof, something else might better.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

As stated Dicor is for rubber roofs. Look for something called Sikaflex. Really good stuff. I think Camping World or any other RV store should have it or order online.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #4

I belive your roof material is TPO, in which case Dicor is compatable with it. Do you suspect the radio antenna or the TV antenna as a source of the leak?

The TV antenna has a sort of O ring seal where it rotates. If the factory put too much Dicor around the antenna they may have built up a dam to hold water and let it down past the seal. I had this happen on a Dutchmen TT in the past.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
New Flagstaff Owner

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies all. I went down to the TT this evening and removed the satellite radio dock, the "junction box" where all of the a/v ins and outs plug in, and the trusty old Concertone and inspected the inside of the entertainment console.

I tried to attach a pic of what it looks like I found on the Internet.

I can see where the water has been accumulating and I believe it is running down a cable from the roof. I will find out for sure tomorrow doing the water hose trick.

My roof is a vinyl roof according to Forest River's literature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27bhss.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1921  
Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #6

Gee, sorry to be so uninformed but I didnt know that they made vinyl roofs, we dont have any paper work on our trailer,,can you tell just from looking at the roof what material it is?
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #7

I don't believe there are "slight" roof leaks. And on a 2009 I would be taking it back to the dealer for a fix so I would have documentation on the problem.
While I'm sure you, or I could fix it, you really need to address and document it for the future. Better safe than sorry where water intrusion is concerned.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
New Flagstaff Owner

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasurveyor View Post
I don't believe there are "slight" roof leaks. And on a 2009 I would be taking it back to the dealer for a fix so I would have documentation on the problem.
While I'm sure you, or I could fix it, you really need to address and document it for the future. Better safe than sorry where water intrusion is concerned.
You are exactly right Bamasurveyor. I have let my local service center dissuade me from bringing my TT in to get several things done that they should be addressing, not me. I have much more faith in my repairs than theirs, but this does need to be documented through the warranty process.

I have called on some things that weren't right on the TT and the typical response is "all we are going to do is (insert repair here) and you should do it yourself to save a trip up here." Or "we don't have an opening for three weeks." I have fixed everything myself up to this point because I know it will be fixed right.

Excuse my rant here, but I also requested that they order the Dometic automatic awning kit to be able to lower one side so the water will drain off and they told me they ordered it on September 19th. Frustrated, I finally called Dometic myself last Thursday and they pulled up this dealer's account and said they haven't ordered anything in months.

I frankly don't trust them to do anything to the TT where my family and I sleep but my roof leak issue needs to be handled by them. Thanks for the advice, Bamasurveyor and pardon my rant.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasurveyor View Post
OH YES
take it back and get it fixed and documented.
2009 there should be absolutely no leaks
you shouldn't be doing any roof repairs except for emergency's

water can wick its way into all kinds of problems later on,

the dealer should be able to pressurized the coach and see where the water gets in.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #10

I'm lucky that I have two dealers in my city that carry Forest River products and handle warranty issuses. If I were to ever have a problem with my selling dealer, which I love, I know that the other one is more than willing to take over all my work, of course my factory warranty is out but I do have three years left on an extended one.
If you have another dealer nearby who carries FR lines, try to work with them. FR doesn't care what dealer they pay for Warranty work, only about haveing happy customers that hopefully will be RETURN customers.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddossey View Post
I have much more faith in my repairs than theirs,
I agree with ddossey 100%, I do not trust a dealer to do any repair work on my trailer. If the issue were serious enough, I would work directly with the factory.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
I agree with ddossey 100%, I do not trust a dealer to do any repair work on my trailer. If the issue were serious enough, I would work directly with the factory.

John U
X2 for me. Don't trust our local FR dealer any futher than I could throw them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote