Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

small hole in roof and corner seal damage

Hi all,

This is our first season with the TT (255RS) so I am still learning. On a recent roof inspection, I noticed a pen tip size hole in the roof. It is near the edge of the camper. Based on some reading here, is Dicor Lap sealant my quick fix here?

My next issue I can't explain. I have the camper in a barn and recently noticed damage to the rear left corner. It looks like the metal(I think it is metal) trim pulled away and then went back - somewhat. I have no idea how it happened. My plan was to fix the metal that is overlapped and I assumed I would seal it but silicone appears to be discouraged. Can anyone give me an idea of how to fix this? Also, is there a way that this could have happened with the slide out? Other than hitting something, I cant tell how this would have happened. I have not hit anything to my knowledge.

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120930_161032_1024x768.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	20541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120930_161044_1024x768.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	20542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120930_161056_1024x768.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	20543  

Old 10-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Dallas Texas

For the roof use the Dicor self leveling sealant. If it's on a vertical portion of the roof get the Dicor non-leveling sealant. Once you put it down you can mold it/shape the bead with your finger. Just be sure to dip your finger in some soapy water so you don't get it all over yourself. It's very tacky.

For most other caulking requirements use Proflex RV caulk.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I went around the corners and saw some cracking in the seals that was there and used the Dicor on it. Nothing big though.

I have attached a pic of the top of the trim that has pulled away from the camper. I also pulled the lower corner cover off. There was a screw on the bottom and I was wondering if there was a screw on the top under the sealant?

I was able to get some of the side panel back in but it looks like I need to take a mallet to the trim. The trim is metal on the edges and plastic in the middle. Any ideas on how to get this back in place?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121011_163050-picsay.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	20572  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The plastic strip in the corner trim is removable with a lot of care. Once the plastic strip has been removed, there will be lots of screws along the length of that corner moulding...they're in part, what attaches the rear panel to the sides. I mentioned before on your previous posting that there must be a reason that this moulding has moved. Perhaps the screws have stripped, come loose, something. Whatever the reason, it will have to be corrected.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz View Post
Hi all,

This is our first season with the TT (255RS) so I am still learning. On a recent roof inspection, I noticed a pen tip size hole in the roof. It is near the edge of the camper. Based on some reading here, is Dicor Lap sealant my quick fix here?

My next issue I can't explain. I have the camper in a barn and recently noticed damage to the rear left corner. It looks like the metal(I think it is metal) trim pulled away and then went back - somewhat. I have no idea how it happened. My plan was to fix the metal that is overlapped and I assumed I would seal it but silicone appears to be discouraged. Can anyone give me an idea of how to fix this? Also, is there a way that this could have happened with the slide out? Other than hitting something, I cant tell how this would have happened. I have not hit anything to my knowledge.

Thanks for any help
My suggestion would be to give it to a body shop familiar with RV's to repair that corner. If water gets in that joint it will no longer be a nuisance it will be a major repair. They don't insert an edge of of an outside wall, they must renew the entire wall. Once the edges are water soaked, rotten and mildewed its time for a major repair. Its not bad yet......I faced a major repair when dripping from a piece of trim wouldn't stop, then did then resumed. The wood inside damage (in a corner) was big time.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

Dave - I will admit that I really did not understand what you were saying in the other post but I do now

I had hoped for a DIY solution but looks like I will have to take it in. If I take this to an RV dealer, what type of cost would this be - best case scenario? I assume even if I get the plastic trim off, it wont be as simple as tightening things up.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like the back wall has separated from the sidewall about 1/2" at that corner. I'm assuming moulding has not separated off the other (back wall) face. I'd suggest to remove the plastic strip and moulding enough to see what damage there may be. I hate the thought of taking it to a dealer without some idea of the damage. I guess that says all about my trust level with dealers. Last I was in a dealer, their posted labor rate was $120/hour...ouch!

I couldn't possibly speculate what the cost could be.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz View Post
Dave - I will admit that I really did not understand what you were saying in the other post but I do now

I had hoped for a DIY solution but looks like I will have to take it in. If I take this to an RV dealer, what type of cost would this be - best case scenario? I assume even if I get the plastic trim off, it wont be as simple as tightening things up.
I think you'll get a better job and much faster at a shop that does fiberglass work for trucks and buses etc. Thats what I did whein I had a minor mishap with a rearcap contact with wood pole (ouch). I think it would be quicker and cheaper too cause they specialize in this work. Take pics like you have and ask for a quiote.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #9

The other side looks ok at this point. I will see if I can get the corner trim off. The plastic center looks brittle though. This thing sit outside while the previous owner had it ... I have kept it inside but the damage was done. Sucks.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #10

If I get the center strip out and unscrew the trim, what will be needed to put it all back together? I have some proflex caulk and some Dicor self leveling sealant but will I need anything else? Will I need any sealant tape or similar?

I figure I can get it apart. Putting it back together might be a bit trickier I can imagine that the plastic piece will be a PITA.