Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Stains from trees and such

Help! We came back from our summer vacation and didn't get around to giving the exterior a cleaning for several weeks. Washing didn't do it. It's covered on all front surfaces with what probably is tree doo-doo from rural campsites. Nothing will remove it -- scrubber sponge, cleaner-polish or mild compound. My concern with going heavier (e.g. acidic products) is that the vehicle is "all - paint no decals." We don't want to go through life with perpetual stains. Any advice?

Don and Dot
2016 Forester Class C 2810C
RVers since 2004 -- 3 years full timers
schipperhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

L.A. Ultimate cleaner at Dollar Tree. bleach section. Read directions.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #3

I don't have an answer for you but I turned down a really nice parking spot at the storage yard due to a large tree next to it. It had all kinds of nuts/berries on the ground.

My second house had a tree on the sidewalk (I think it was an oak) that stained the concrete sidewalks. I couldn't cut it down because it belonged to the county. What a piece of trash.

Good luck.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #4

I’ve always had good luck with Simple Green. Mineral Sprits will remove it but you’ll have to wax afterwards. Test both in small area and use what works best.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
I don't have an answer for you but I turned down a really nice parking spot at the storage yard due to a large tree next to it. It had all kinds of nuts/berries on the ground.

My second house had a tree on the sidewalk (I think it was an oak) that stained the concrete sidewalks. I couldn't cut it down because it belonged to the county. What a piece of trash
Good luck.

There are ways to kill trees. Google it.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #6

if you visit your local dealer of car detail products they will hook you up with what you need. They offer products that are not found in auto parts store. While you are there ask them about cleaners for bug. I was given a formula that is remarkable and it works.
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

Tree sap

We lived in Nashville for many years, and there are many Hackberry trees, which give good shade, and grow quickly. however, they are notorious for virtually raining sap at various times of year, which is really sticky, and shortly turns the surfaces black, making many to install black or brown roofs, when white would be a better choice, energy wise.

As we had to park our fifth wheel in the back yard, it was victim to the sapfall too. Used a lot of different cleaners, and found Greased Lightning and Simple Yellow to be the most satisfactory. Also requiredthe use of a pressure washer. Quite a chore! This mess helped make me decide to have a big garage built with 14' ceilings, to get the RV out of the weather, although in our new home here in the Missouri Ozarks, the tree situation has turned out to not be a factor. Parking indoors however, surely extends the life of things, especially rubber roofs and tires!
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
Dahagen

If it is tree sap, put a drop of hand sanitizer on the sap,wait a few moments, then rub it off. A slow process but the sanitizer is cheap and mostly alcohol. It doesn't hurt the finish, but can take the wax off.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #9

I have now tried magic erasers, cleaner/wax, light rubbing compound, LA Awesome and mineral spirits. None of these has so much as touched a single spot. Before I get into heavy acids and sandpaper, I will in fact contact a local detailer and see if a.) he can fix it and b.) I can afford it. Incidentally, it is a full-paint rig.
schipperhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
W9HAM

I parked my brand new trailer under a Mulberry tree for a few days. I had the best success with hand sanitizer and elbow grease.
W9HAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #11

McGuire's Cleaner Wax, micro fiber towel and elbow grease
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

My hideout I used to have was parked next to my house and trees all around. I ended up with a lot of mildew on the shady side. Wet and Forget sprayed on the side and top made it look brand new again. Safe and easy to use. follow instructions. I just got a gallon hand pressure sprayer to use.
Mcdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #13

Had the tree sap problem after last trip on TT and truck. I used straight alcohol, it's cheap and worked great on both. The TT is fiberglass and no problems.
boatpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #14

If you going to take it to somebody take it or have a professional detailer come to you and do it. Forget the dealer, they will call a detailer and up charge you like crazy.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote