Old 03-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermanator View Post
Well I'd rather fix it before it punctures the membrane, with my luck it'd pop through and we'd be stuck in a rain storm somewhere! Just don't want to screw up the chance of the dealership/factory maybe doing something for me...Sherm
I don't think it will puncture unless stepped on, but I do understand your concern. How are you going to fix it without slitting the membrane and removing it?

Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #12

I was going to try and "bang" it back down, and if it did puncture it then it'd have to be patched. I'd rather know its fixed than the waiting game for it to do its own thing. I just thought I'd give FR a chance to respond and see what they might be able to do..Sherm

Old 03-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #13

Banging it back down you can pretty much guarantee you'll puncture the Alpha-ply. The trick roofers use when tented fasteners occur is to try to lay over the offending fastener. On a warmish day, take a piece of duct or gorilla tape and stick it to the roof near the fastener in a manner that make a tab so you can lift the membrane from the deck. Then use a seam roller, round handle of a screwdriver, or similar and "steamroll" into the fastener to lay it over. As you do this, pull up on the tab. Keep repeating this till you have the fastener substantially pushed over and then use a rubber mallet to level it out. Lifting the membrane keep the fastener from digging in and causing a puncture/tear. Once you take the stress concentration out, the membrane will be fine with the fastener pushed over.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #14

Has anyone considered what may be causing this to occur? Is it possible the substrate is lifting off the rafters? Does FR use construction adhesive under the substrate or just staple?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #15

I was kinda wondering the same thing Crockett was, why are these staples "lifting" when the trailer is brand new and is there going to be some structural problem because that staple is not holding anything. I will try geotex1's and see if I can flatten it out, I really don't want to slice the roof unless I have to...Sherm
Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #16

no word from mfg reps. the roofs ive dealt with in the past have no adhesive between the substrate and rafters. you often find white fir for wood in the trusses, not the best for holding a staple. theres a lot of openings and and screws in the rubber already, i would probably just use a screw and a little 3/16" flat washer. follow up with a dab of dicor. Especially if there were more than one staple starting to pull.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
Never Leak RV Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprowler View Post
I have a 2015 Cedar Creek, Silverback 29IK. I inspect the roof regularly and have noticed some of the staples under the roof membrane have backed out slightly. I would guess maybe 1/8". The staples leave an impression in the roof as they push up and look like they will eventually push through. I can push them down flush with thumb pressure and they will seat back smooth on the roof. This has occurred on both the left and right sides.

My worry is that if left alone they will punch through the membrane.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem? This is our third RV and all had rubber roofs. This is the first time I had noticed this.

The unit is at the dealership now for a few minor issues identified on delivery in addition to the roof issue.
It's not the rubber, if you walk on the roof alot this will happen.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #18

One part of me says...eh no biggie repair it myself and go one. The othe part says the CC should make it right. If they are going to cover it beyond the initial year fine... Just get it in writing.

My concern isn't the roof membrane but the structure beneath. One staple an issue? Again no problem... The entire roof done with a gun on the wrong psi...no bueno

Press them to correct the issue or put it in writing.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #19

I just got off the phone from the dealership that sold the trailer. Warranty through FR is of course only the 1 year, which is up. The roof membrane is in fact warranted for 10 years however, that only covers the rubber should it "break down" in some way, nothing to do with punctures. Besides that, because I am the second owner that roof warranty doesn't apply anyways! As far as FR, 5 emails to them and not one response, thanks for the support FR, real special! Long story short, the dealership was great in the advice department, they suggested to fix the thing now rather than later, a small "hole" to look after the staple and then some dicor on it and it'll last forever, so I'm guessing that'll be what I do.....Sherm
Old 03-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #20

if you slice that rubber then it will seersucker up when you caulk it. thats why I said screw and washer, then caulk. just gently tap the "tented fastener" down first. if you slice then your looking at eternabond...

Tags
roo, roof