Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #11

I use a Lemon scent from Walmart. Can't remember the brand. Did you check to make sure their are no clogs in any of the pipes? I would not replub this vent up to the front. You want the vent higher then the trap, otherwise you would have a wet vent. I would think their is a blockage or something that it is not pulling air in to vent. How does it drain? I always use a little more treatment then they say to use.

mikegp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #12

If I had not seen the pictures I would have questioned the idea too.....Pictures ARE worth a 1000 words. Seems a little short on design.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #13

Mikegp1 has a good ideal. But make sure when you do this not to use dish washing soap that has anti bacteria in it. Anti bacteria will kill the good bacteria that breaks down the odor causing bacteria in the tank. I never use any anti bacteria soap or body wash in a rv when using grey water tank. Never had a problem with odor
Old 07-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I have to say that if it was my camper, and out of warranty, I would cut that riser and put a black plastic interior vent in its place. Wow that is totally bogus design IMHO.

What is A Plumbing Check Vent? by Mark Bower - Manufactured Housing News

Glue on a threaded adapter and screw in the cheater vent. Air only goes INTO the pipe and never out of it.

You would have to plug that stupid hole in the wall. Maybe cutting in a hatch to access that cabinet from the outside?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #15

That would probably be the best bet. I agree with you Lou. If he can't figure it out that is the next best thing.
mikegp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #16

I can't believe that they installed the vent pipe like that... I located one of those check vents beneath my sink in my bedroom, seems to work very well...

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #17

Located a check vent today. I have the tools in the camper for installation if my final attempt to flush out today does not work. Leaving shortly on vacation again. We all agree on poor design, now with education, walmarts lemon grey tank cleaner a check vent and thankful input I will have a conclusion to my STINKY GALLEY PIPE. THANKS AGAIN ALL who gave me ideas and input.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Don't forget you will need an adapter for your riser. You will have to cut the pipe as high as possible in the cabinet; cement a threaded female adapter to the stub; and using Teflon pipe dope (or tape) screw in the vent.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #19

Once again thanks for all the info to help solve my problem. After a day of talking to two more techs out of state that returned my phone calls I have some good advice. I believe this man has a very valid point I must share.
The cheater vent is a great add on vent to tanks that are already vented.EXAMPLE my vanity drains into the grey tank that is vented through the roof next to the shower. Im guessing that is how bsmall's set up is. So the problem with installing a cheater vent for my galley sink is that the gases will build up in the tank and probably back feed through the drains in the sink. So the moral to my story is I am left with option A. sucking up the fact I have a poorly designed system,cleaning my tank more frequently and dumping lots of money into chemicals or option B looking for a route behind lots of work to reroute my vent through the roof.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Wow, what a poor design.

Just so I understand, you have two gray water tanks but only one of them has a roof vent (the bathroom gray water).

The kitchen gray water tank has no roof vent just that sidewall vent? So as the kitchen tank fills there is no place for the air to go but out the side wall or up the trap into the camper.

Yup, that does blow IMHO.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW