Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

suggestions for repairing crack in gel coat.

I washed and waxed my camper today and noticed this spider crack in my gel coat. Any suggestions on repairing this without major body work. It is very small and barely noticeable but don't want it to get larger. Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	156547  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Not sure how to guarantee the crack won’t spread....

Possibly sanding it and clear coating? Possibly drilling a small hole with drillbit to stop the spread, somewhat like stress cracks in fibreglass?

I’ve seen this item for a real cheap way to hide the issue, no matter what the damage. They come in a few sizes, black or white. It ends up looking just like another vent cover seen on many RV units. Who’d know it wasn’t real unless they have the same make and model?

White Dent Vent 5" x 5 1/2" - Leisure Time DV55W - Vents - Camping World

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Not sure the crack is, but that is a clever idea kenandterry. I think an invisible repair might be possible, they do it on boats. So, I would recommend check with a boat repair shop. I'll bet dollars to donuts an RV shop would know less than me.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #4

Check the wall on the other side of the crack, looks like the results of a screw from mounting something, TV bracket, coat hanger, ect. If it is, every time you hit a bump it's gonna move and cause the end of the screw to make the crack expand, just a thought. A friend of mine a similar spider crack and that was the problem. He removed the screw, drilled a 1/8 hole in the center of the crack, filled it with five minute epoxy, and extended the stripes to cover the small fix.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by w021095 View Post
Check the wall on the other side of the crack, looks like the results of a screw from mounting something, TV bracket, coat hanger, ect. If it is, every time you hit a bump it's gonna move and cause the end of the screw to make the crack expand, just a thought. A friend of mine a similar spider crack and that was the problem. He removed the screw, drilled a 1/8 hole in the center of the crack, filled it with five minute epoxy, and extended the stripes to cover the small fix.
The crack is outside of the dinette area. I thought that it might be a screw for a bracket that holds the table but we don't actually have one. The table is on posts. I measured the location in relation to the window and then went inside and used the same measurements. There wasn't anything on the inside. I am assuming that it is a screw that went through the stud too far.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

The right way would be grind it out chamfered and re-apply a colormatched gel-coat until it's built up enough to blend & then polish it out.
I would take it to a boat repair or Auto Body shop that specializes in glasswork long before any RV shop unless they had a good reputation for making these type of repairs.
The cheapest way I've seem people deal with it was to cover it with a sticker. The sticker will keep out the elements which will cause it to spread. Either way you should cover it with tape for now until you decide.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #7

Repair with epoxy and place a "Great Seal of the State of Flordia" over it! They have one of the most Beautiful seals of any State,and they come in many sizes! I had to apply the Ohio State Seal on one of our units for the same reason you have posted! Youroo!!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by w021095 View Post
X2. That sure looks like a protrusion from inside to me. Like a previous poster said, a boat shop can probably repair it like new, but you'll have to correct the cause otherwise it will come right back.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #9

under the gelcoat is fiberglass. If water can get thru, then it needs to be fixed. I would grind down into fiberglass with 4-1/2 grinder or other. at least you need to sand to roughen the surface. then repair with fiberglass cloth or matt soaked with fiberglass resin. it sets pretty fast. after applying, cover with wax paper to let surface cure without being tacky. resin cures without contact with air. smooth out with wax paper to reduce need for sanding. then sand and paint. If you can't remove enough be fore applying then you will end up with a raised area. the glass fibers must remain span the crack. the glass fibers provide the strength and the resin attaches the glass fibers to the surface. this in permanent. auto parts store have small kits. good luck
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #10

From the outside I would carefully remove enough material to find out just what is causing this problem coming from the inside.....Then I would get some body filler and fix the hole and then apply a decal over the area.....I had this happen years ago and I put a small Canadian Flag decal over the spot...No one except me knew what was under there and it looked OK.....cost was nothing!!!!..
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #11

suggestions for repairing crack in gel coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
I washed and waxed my camper today and noticed this spider crack in my gel coat. Any suggestions on repairing this without major body work. It is very small and barely noticeable but don't want it to get larger. Thanks for any suggestions.

Go to your local boat store. You can by a gel coat repair kit or I used to use epoxy putty. To prevent cracks from spreading drill small holes at the ends.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/trava...02?recordNum=6
Old 11-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #12

The easiest to repair with is from West Marine. Any marina can give you the name of someone to repair. I've seen those guys do miracles.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #13

Fiberglass repair

I would grind down into fiberglass and use that Marine Tex Stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/Marine-Tex-Mig...rds=marine+tex
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #14

Fiber Glass - Gel-Kote Repair

If you are reasonably handy you can use this: Fiber Glass-Evercoat Marine Gel-Kote, available on Amazon. Easy to use - did a couple small spots on the bottom of my boat. Worked great.
Good luck,
Larry...

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #15
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLVanB View Post
If you are reasonably handy you can use this: Fiber Glass-Evercoat Marine Gel-Kote, available on Amazon. Easy to use - did a couple small spots on the bottom of my boat. Worked great.
Good luck,
Larry...
Im assuming you're talking about this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00125JVUM..._wP4dAbJDK7K07
Seems easy enough.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Im assuming you're talking about this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00125JVUM..._wP4dAbJDK7K07
Seems easy enough.
Actually, this: https://www.amazon.com/Fibre-Glass-E...70_&dpSrc=srch

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #17

This what I used. You will need to clean/open the crack so that there is surface area for the gel coat to adhere to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GELCOAT-RES...-/271577449001
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #18

Fiberglass repair

With that white Marine Tex you dont have to match the color!
Just mix a bit of hardener and here you go.
Then sand it and compound, Voilà!

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Throttle...rds=marine+tex
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
The cheapest way I've seem people deal with it was to cover it with a sticker. The sticker will keep out the elements which will cause it to spread. Either way you should cover it with tape for now until you decide.
We had a tiny crack appear on the back of our RV and I used Epoxy and then covered that with a sticker of a maple leaf. So far, so good. It's been a couple of years.
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, repair