Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

Tail light bulb issues

Anyone have a problem with tail light bulb burning out? I have a 2014 Sunseeker 2860ds and one tail light keeps burning out. I changed the bulb 3 times already.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

Don't have a problem with mine but was there water in the lens cover? Or is the socket rusty? How about the wires, almost sounds like something loose, or bad ground
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
Anyone have a problem with tail light bulb burning out? I have a 2014 Sunseeker 2860ds and one tail light keeps burning out. I changed the bulb 3 times already.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Is it incandescent or LED? Probably due to excess vibration, loose socket or housing.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

No water from what I can tell. The bulb almost has a foggy look to it when burned out. Not like a normal burn out where the filament is broken. Socket seems to be secure. It is incandescent, but thinking of going to LED except the turn signal because of the issue with voltage drop and not working properly.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
No water from what I can tell. The bulb almost has a foggy look to it when burned out. Not like a normal burn out where the filament is broken. Socket seems to be secure. It is incandescent, but thinking of going to LED except the turn signal because of the issue with voltage drop and not working properly.
Good description of failure, sounds as though the bulb is failing due overvoltage. I've read the Mercedes chassis uses a circuit board (located in the the water compartment?) to control tail and stop lamps using electronics. Never saw one but I can imagine used to boost the signals to the lamps after using smaller wires from the dash back. Saves cable size and reduces voltage drop. They would use a boost circuit on that board and maybe the circuit to to tail is getting excess voltage. You can always check the circuit leads at the bulb socket and check for high voltage. You're correct LED would fail under these conditions. This is a warranty item if you can find the reason for the high voltage.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light