Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

Time to clean the roof

We've had our unit since Sept. of '13, when it's parked it's under a metal RV port so roof is well protected most of the time. Getting ready for a big road trip in June and wanted to go ahead and put a cleaner / conditioner on it as part of trip prep. Need recommends for a reasonably priced ($20?) solution that will clean and protect but not so harsh that it hurts the finish or the stickers when I rinse it off. Have seen B.E.S.T., Thetford and some others on the internet, just not sure what to go with.

Thx
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
WFD

First you need to tell us what type of roof you have..is it a rubber roof? Search the forums here...page after page of discussion on the topic. Consensus seems to be good old DAWN dish soap and water, or Murphy's oil soap...both work great and much cheaper than the branded "Roof Cleaner" products found in RV stores. And the rubber roof manufacturer will tell you that no special UV protectant is needed...just good old cleaning!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
First you need to tell us what type of roof you have..is it a rubber roof? Search the forums here...page after page of discussion on the topic. Consensus seems to be good old DAWN dish soap and water, or Murphy's oil soap...both work great and much cheaper than the branded "Roof Cleaner" products found in RV stores. And the rubber roof manufacturer will tell you that no special UV protectant is needed...just good old cleaning!
Yes it's a rubber membrane, sorry thought they were all made that way. Thanks for the info, sounds like the Meguier's car wash soap I was already using for the rest of the trailer and my vehicles will do just fine then.
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Roo2 View Post
We've had our unit since Sept. of '13, when it's parked it's under a metal RV port so roof is well protected most of the time. Getting ready for a big road trip in June and wanted to go ahead and put a cleaner / conditioner on it as part of trip prep. Need recommends for a reasonably priced ($20?) solution that will clean and protect but not so harsh that it hurts the finish or the stickers when I rinse it off. Have seen B.E.S.T., Thetford and some others on the internet, just not sure what to go with.

Thx
Protect all
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #5

I just spent a couple of days on my class C motorhome roof. I cleaned it with Dawn dish soap and then covered all seams and screws etc. with Eternabond tape. I have a fiberglass roof that has a texture. I was surprised at how much dirt came off the roof.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

Use dawn soap, then apply Aero 303 to roof. The 303 is a little expensive caught it on sale in gallon. Put in spray bottle to take along because I try to wash and clean roof every 4 months.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

I used B.E.S.T. never again. It was a mess. By the time I was finished with the roof this stuff was all over the sides of the fifth wheel. I then had to was the whole rv to get the dried white stuff off. Next time I'm going the Dawn route.
To make matters worse it did just an ok job on the roof and did not remove the mildew spots like I thought it would.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

When I had my TT, the dealer recommended dawn dishwashing liquid for the rubber roof.
I used it many times and it worked great.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

X2 on the 303. expensive , but it goes along ways.
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #10

I agree Dawn is great and I use it all the time. But make sure its the usual kind and not with any citrus scent. Apparently the citrus stuff is not good for the roof,
You are sure correct the fiberglass texture on the roof does hold a fair amount of dirt and dust. Any RV roof needs a good cleaning at least twice a year. especially the awning and toppers as there is a lot of sap that comes off of trees in camp grounds. We parked under a maple tree in the spring last year and when the awning was extended I almost thought it was glued together from the sap.
We are getting the new battery control center installed this next week so will see how that goes.. Had enough of the clicking from the existing Worth Electronics unit..
Enjoy

Brandon2
2014 Sun seeker TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Roo2 View Post
Yes it's a rubber membrane, sorry thought they were all made that way. Thanks for the info, sounds like the Meguier's car wash soap I was already using for the rest of the trailer and my vehicles will do just fine then.
Remember what ever you use on the Roof,,, will be running down the sides !!! If it is truly a Rubber Roof,,, it will need to be protected after cleaning !!!

If you search Rubber Roof,,, you will find many many pages of advice !!!
Some Good,,, Some not so good !!! LOLO !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof