Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

To cover or not

I'm new to the travel trailer game and I was wondering what should be done when I'm storing my camper for the winter? Cover the trailer or not? I have searched and get opinions for both! So weigh in and tell me what you think!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have done both and like to cover after thoroughly washing the camper and recaulking as needed. I think there is probably an almost equal split between those who do and those who don't use a cover.

In general, any cover you use needs to be a good fitted cover that will breathe. The two keys are "fitted" and "breathe". Fitted covers will reduce or eliminate the problem with wind blowing the cover and causing the finish to rub off in areas. Breatheability is important to let the moisture out. Never use a plastic tarp.

Our ADCO goes on and comes off fairly easily. Its a one-man job at our house. Tip - We use tennis balls on the down spouts, which helps the cover to both go on and come off smoothly without snags or broken bits.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Vote to Cover

I don't live too far from you, Ruger77 - about the 40 milepost of I-68 in MD, maybe 75 miles. So, our weather is pretty much the same.
While we never covered our Roo 23SS in the 5 years we owned it, we did have it stored under roof during the winter a couple of those years. The other years it sat in our driveway uncovered.
With our new Flagstaff, we've decided to cover it even if it is stored under roof. I've been looking at an ADCO - but there are other options out there. This trailer is, hopefully, our last and we need to not only protect the roof, but the whole exterior when it is totally exposed to the elements.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
Take The Road Less Travld

I live in Ohio. I was debating putting a cover on the trailer but I think I made a good call this year. Despite the mixed reviews as to cover it or not, I decided to go with covering it. I bought the ADCO cover for my 2013 rockwood roo 233s. It has been a harsh winter. lots of snow with rain changing over to ice and did i mention show? i can only imagine what this would have done to the seals and the crevices where water can creep and lay, only to freeze and expand in those seals and cause damage. I've been in the trailer recently just to check on things and it still smells like new. seems like the cover was a good call and I will cover it every winter just in case. whats the harm!
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

Can't get a cover for my v-lite without paying a crazy amount for a custom one, thinking about getting a generic one and trying to modify it to fit wish I had one for this winter.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #6

There has been plenty of discussion on this and you are probably getting a 50/50 split. If experience matters here is my take. I camp seasonally in Eastern Ohio on Pymatuning lake, in Ashtabula County which is snow belt heaven. 90% of seasonal campers leave our trailers on our lots over the winter. About 60% of us cover the trailer. So what does that mean? It means those of us who cover are usually chilling and drinking watching those who don't cover try and scrub the spring black streaks, tree sap, buds and bird crap off of their trailers. This is usually followed up with comments such as "next year I'm covering the dang thing" But they don't. Until they by a new trailer seems they come with a new cover! At least mine did, all I had to do was order it, DW still thinks it came with the trailer! 50 days and we get to open her up! happy Trails Ya'll and may the gods of good RV fortune bless you this season!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Depends on where you live..... Here you would be buying a new cover every year let alone the damage it can & does cause. Very windy I know several campers live near me the cover was use part of one year & then shredded & in the trash. At several hundred dollars each its not worth it here. Would like to & may get a metal building type. Its cheaper here in the long run.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Take The Road Less Travld

Counting my days down too Dave and loved reading your post. Uncover, sit back with a cold one and smile at others you told needed to cover last year . It has been a harsh winter. and the weather is cracking. Maybe I can unzip the door side and go in for a breather
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote