Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

To cover or not cover for the winter

New to RVing, just bought a Work&Play 18LT. SHould I cover it for the winter?
larry69fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

NO!
I covered mine for the first time in 30 years and hate it. Hard to install, nearly impossible by one person, and darn inconvient.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #3

Ours is covered and it wasn't that difficult to put on. I figure it has be be better than snow and ice pelting it directly along with the freezing and refreezing of any moisture. Some concerns of wind making the cover rub the sides but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #4

My vote is yes and I keep mine covered with a breathable ADCO cover made for the trailer from camping world. I would not use a tarp with bungee cords that will make marks. My cover came with 2 detachable straps with weights sewn in so you could throw the middle straps under the trailer to secure. Straps secure UNDER the trailer, not on the sides of the TT. I guess some people are very lucky they haven't developed leaks at any penetration points or cracks in their roof membrane materials from tree branches, cracked caulking, or such. Having ice, snow, or standing water coming in the smallest penetrations cause so much damage. There are no guarantees but I think it also helps the decals and tires(purchased separately) keeping the sun/weather off them. Oh, plus I have the gutter extensions which I put tennis balls with an X cut in them that works great!!!Another great suggestion from this forum site! And because what I used to cover my extensions last year fell off, I had a hole from the wind but guess what....my left-over Eterna Bond sticks to it great and took care of it! Also used it for my covered pontoon boat(tennis balls at bimini connectors and Eterna Bond for a friction puncture). It's awesome! Oh, I'm 145lbs. and put the cover and tire covers on by myself. You just need very light to no winds when unrolling it out on the roof. The first time you might want some help.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

X2 on the tennis balls. I used them on the gutter extensions as well. Ours is a CalMark cover that was custom made for the V-nose shape of our Windjammer. It weighs 65 pounds so the hardest part was just getting it up on the roof. Once I got it up the step ladder there were no issues getting it rolled out and draped over the sides. It has three sewn in straps and then grommets for additional bungee cords to be added. The cover is long enough to wrap under the trailer so the bungees do not rub the sides at all.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #6

It may depend on where you live. I keep mine in covered storage but was told that in Texas it is very difficult to keep the cover tied down tight and if you don't the tarp may do more damage because the wind will cause it to slap against the rig. None of the RVs in our storage area are covered. If you can protect it from the wind it might make sense. The sun does the most damage so consider that also.
thull87814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Any other feedback on ADCO cover for very snowy conditions? I have 2 days to buy and install until snowfall hits, according to weatherman. Then the snow will be on the trailer until April. My pop-up went 18 years with no cover OK, but I'm interested in keeping my 'new' 2004 big trailer in good condition.
rrfullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

I cover every yr. My 2004 wildwood was snow damaged( snow apparently blew into air cond. unit and rusted out bearings in cooling fan) I have a 2010 wildwood now and have covered the last 3 winters and we get plenty of snow here in wv mountians. Being out of sun always helps.

Ron & Barb
2004 GMC 2500
2010 Wildwood 29BHBS
wvfireboss is offline   Reply With Quote