Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Trade in with a bad roof!

So we just traded in our old camper for a newer one. The dealership called me today and said that the roof on our trade in was completely rotted. They wanted to know if we knew about this. I honestly had no clue. I had been up there the last two years of owning it and have experienced no problems at all. He dealer said he was basically screwed because we have already signed all paperwork and picked up our new camper. He said he would call me back tomorrow to discuss things.

What should I expect? Will I have to pay anything or should I?

The dealer knows he is in trouble because everything has been finalized. Thoughts/Suggestions?

2011 Forest River Flagstaff Classic 831KRSS
2011 Coleman 267BH Fifth Wheel
2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #2

Personally, they had to oppurtunity to inspect the trailer before the sale. I know my last trailer had some leaks that were repaired and every dealer would give me a rough idea however, they said before we sign on any trailer or you sign finalizing the trade, we go over the trailer anyway just to ensure it's in line with what you mentioned as the condition.

Obviously, in your case, you didn't know about the roof problem. It wasn't like you were being dishonest. They have the ability and resources to check out your trailer just as much as you have the ability to check out the new one.

If they didn't do that, then I would say it's on them.

If you don't have any ties to the dealer for anything, then I wouldn't worry about it even though they may pester you. I would just keep reiterating to them that they had to oppurtunity to check it out, you are sorry it happened but, you had no knowledge of any prior problems.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Read over your paperwork, unless there is a clause that says they can coma back to you if there is a unknown issue at signing, it is on them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #4

The only real issue you may have is if you need warranty (assuming it still has a warranty), they may be slow to repair it.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #5

Honestly, if your new camper had a bad roof and you didn't discover it until after getting it off the lot, do you think he would give you your money back? Especially if there was no warranty? However, it depends on what your conscious dictates. Myself I would ask him to see the proof and offer some form of small payment. That's more than he would offer you.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

Your fine. This guy is a dealer and very knowledgeable in RV's. It is a risk all dealers take. That is why they give you crap for a trade. They need to cover the cost of an occasional situation like this.

You did nothing wrong and he failed to properly inspect the RV. His fault. Not yours.

Buyer beware applies to all.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Like others have said they had a chance to inspect before the deal happened its there baby now
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #8

When I traded mine, we discussed the trade, what I knew was wrong, etc. before I brought it up there.

Once we came to an agreement and financing was arranged we signed documentation stating that my trade was as declared and once appraised in person the trade would be final.

I towed it up and they did my PDI while they inspected my trade. A short time later they came to me with some paperwork to sign saying that the trade was as described and the offer was finalized.

It's done. That was their chance to find anything wrong I didn't declare, while I would feel bad it's their, specifically the inspectors, problem.

Oddly enough, the one thing that was a problem was my awning fabric. Mechanically the awning was fine, but at the top the part that rots on all of them was in rough shape. When they looked at it they tried to give me grief about it. My answer was "I told you about it."

Feel bad for them and all, but that's a business risk and if they didn't catch it when you traded, honestly, it's their problem.

I was totally honest, presumably you were too. Frankly, they should have looked closer before signing the line. They're buying a used unit as is, if you bought an as is unit they wouldn't do anything for you.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #9

trading with bad roff

when I traded in mine the first thing checked was the roof! it sound likes like your dealer dropped the ball and now putting the touch on you,let us know how things turn out good luck
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #10

They didn't even do an inspection on the trade in until today (4 days after the deal). We brought it to them the day we picked up the new one.

2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smonagle View Post
They didn't even do an inspection on the trade in until today (4 days after the deal). We brought it to them the day we picked up the new one.

2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Thats THERE fault not your.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #12

I would say it's completely their fault then. They should be changing their process to avoid things like this in the future but, not your problem.

I think they will try to push you into talking to them about it but, in all honesty if you have no ties with them like I said before and others have said, you don't even have to pick up the phone or deal with it.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:

2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Seriously?

Well, sucks to be them.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #14

Unless there is a clause in the purchase contract I would say you are fine and it is thier loss. Go through and read it again just in case.....

Let us know how it goes when you talk to them, I am curious how they handle this.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

If you didn't know it, and they didn't look, too bad for them.

I drove several hundred miles to look at a "mint condition" motorhome. When I pulled out my ladder, I discovered several pot hole size indentations along the seams of the roof. When I pointed it out to the dealer, they weren't even embarrassed. In many quarters, it's an unsavory business. Live by Caveat Emptor, die by Caveat Emptor.

Here's a thought: maybe they did know, valued your RV accordingly, and are now trying to shake you down for more money.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #16

They've had your trade in for 4 days. To the best of your knowledge there was no issue with the roof when you transferred possession.

It's like buying a fish that dies the next day - store simply says "Well it was alive when it left here, I don't know what you did to it afterwards".

They had the same opportunity to find something wrong with it as you did on your new unit. They were more worried about completing the sale and getting your money then doing the inspection. Their loss. I wouldn't beat myself up over it.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #17

The only clause they have is the following "If I do not deliver the trade in vehicle to you when this agreement is signed, I agree, that at the time the trade in vehicle is delivered to you, should the value of my trade in be materially diminished as a result of physical damage, etc"

So basically they can't fight the value of the trade in because I delivered it before the agreement is signed. They signed it therefore they accepted the trade.

Correct?

2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Old 02-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
The only clause they have is the following "If I do not deliver the trade in vehicle to you when this agreement is signed, I agree, that at the time the trade in vehicle is delivered to you, should the value of my trade in be materially diminished as a result of physical damage, etc"

So basically they can't fight the value of the trade in because I delivered it before the agreement is signed. They signed it therefore they accepted the trade.

Correct?

That is what it sounds like to me. I am not a lawyer but with that verbiage I think you are safe other than the dealer trying to strong arm you or holding a grudge on future service visits.

They did not do their due diligence and that is not your fault.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #19
Site Team

I agree with the others that the dealer should had inspected prior to signing the paperwork. You can't inform him of what you are not aware of. This shouldn't had been his first rodeo.

I had a similar thing happen when I traded my car. A few days later the dealer called upset stating there was power steering fluid in the brake system. I was surprised since I didn't have any problems with the car. I reminded him that only the dealership had worked on my car. I ended taking my new car to another dealership for maintenance after that.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #20

Won't have that problem with mine. The roof is now 4 days old and the trailer gets traded in next week. Also both axles are new as of last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof