Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #21

When we traded in our Jayco TT, the dealer had me sign an acknowledgement stating i had no knowledge of any roof damage. The roof was fine and never repaired so it wasn't an issue, but I realized i was legally stating I HAD NO KNOWLEDGE and if the dealer could prove otherwise IF there was damage that was concealed, I woulda been screwed.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #22

Subscribing to this as we just traded ours in, but prior to signing, the sales guy and i went over it top to bottom. As far as i know ours needed an awning fabric and new decals

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #23

Not your worry .Before paperwork they should have inspected yours! There bad not yours.
firstclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
When we traded in our Jayco TT, the dealer had me sign an acknowledgement stating i had no knowledge of any roof damage. The roof was fine and never repaired so it wasn't an issue, but I realized i was legally stating I HAD NO KNOWLEDGE and if the dealer could prove otherwise IF there was damage that was concealed, I woulda been screwed.
I don't know how one can prove "your knowledge" unless you would have hade an estimate from someone or an insurance claim stating the damage.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #25

Is this a sDealer that you will be 'working with' in the future? ie. is he the main person that you will be taking your unit to have work done on it? If he is.... he can screw you over royal and 'get his money back' for any future work. If you are close by to his Dealership, sit down and 'talk' to him. He has 'lost' nothing .... he just did not 'gain' as much as he thought that he would have on the resell of your/his unit. If you truly did not know of the 'bad' roof, convey that and let him understand (nicely) that the trade in was 'as is'. He can 'fix' the roof, he just does not want to put out any money to do it. Do not be talked into 'rebating' him, if you are in the right. IF you will Never see this sDealer again... you have no obligation to 'help' him reduce his loss, but know that if there is any warranty work to do.... He can and most likely will make you regret it if you take your unit back to him to work on.
(Do I know this for a 'fact'.... I know human nature.....)
imo.......

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #26

If he's like most local dealers, he probably made $5-$10K on the new and planned to make $5K plus on the used. He can repair the roof and still make money. I can guarantee you that if you had bought a used unit from him and signed and come back 4 days later, he'd point out that it was used and sold "as is" and it was now your problem. Caveat emptor.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #27

Well here is the update for today!

The dealer never called. When I looked on their website they listed our current one as sold and the trade in as "pictures coming soon" and that it's available.

I'm sure this isn't over but the fact they didn't even attempt to call today makes me wonder if they knew they didn't have anything to stand on.

2011 Forest River Flagstaff Classic 831KRSS
2011 Coleman 267BH Fifth Wheel
2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #28

They should not have called you in the first place about it. Rest your mind.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #29

And still co call.....interesting!

2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Old 02-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #30

Some potential buyer probably pointed out the roof issue as they were checking it out four days after you dropped it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Some potential buyer probably pointed out the roof issue as they were checking it out four days after you dropped it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Very good point, the buyer or they had an independent inspection done.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #32

And still no call...the website doesn't have a price listed yet but will update everyone once I see it!

2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Old 02-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #33

UPDATE:

They called today to tell me that they had to replace the entire roof for a cost of $3200. The manager asked if there was anything we could do to help them out. He said that we had to have noticed that the roof was rotted. I politely told him that I did not have any idea. There were no signs of water leakage whatsoever. I was even up on the roof last fall to clean it and inspect the seals (like I do every year). He told me this wasn't just over this winter but that it had happened for a while. When he asked if there was anything we could do to help them recoup their loss, I told him that I had nothing to give.

He said he believed me but the service manager may get the owner involved. I said I understood and that if it went any further that he could contact me. At the end he sounded like that wasn't going to happen so I will leave it at that and wait to see if I ever get a phone call from the owner.

I will most likely take my camper to a different dealership to have any warranty work done on it. Fortunately for me, there are several dealerships within an hours drive. Hopefully we can put this past us and enjoy the use of the new camper. I will still be watching to see what they sell the trade in for.

Thanks for listening everyone! It was fantastic to have so many responses telling me to hold my ground. It made it much easier for me to believe in myself in this specific situation!

Scott
Old 02-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #34

First off I think like others, they should have checked it out when you traded it in, and now to call and say that it cost them $3200, now I believe it would have cost you that much, but not them, they did it for cost, but want you to pay full cost, I don't think so.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #35

He's playing the CYA game. They screwed up, now they're trying to leverage you before the owner realizes he's on the hook.

Next time ask him where the interior water stains are, see what he says.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #36

It's interesting that you first posted on Feb 4th and today the roof is completed at a cost of $3200.

I'm really curious if they have really replaced the entire roof in only 6 days as many on here find that it takes the factory several weeks (including transport).

I'm thinking they shouted out an estimate only, and they will probably try to sell it without fixing it, hoping the next buyer doesn't notice anything.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #37

Personally,

I would have ask the guy calling to go ahead and let you have the owners number so that you could call him yourself. If they did put a new roof on they will advertise it that way and make it up.

Shame on them for making an honest guy feel guilty about a new purchase.

Salt.

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #38

I would not ask them any questions whatsoever. You're out of it; stay out of it.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
I had a complete roof put on my 33ft 5th wheel a in 5 days,
they did an excellent job, pressure check it as well. They
only had to replace one sheet of plywood in front, added
all new marker lights as well
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #40
Anacortesians

The dealer bought it as seen and inspected by his people. If they didn't find the problem, that's his hard luck. If you'd found a similar problem in what you bought used, do you think the dealer would've bellied up to the bar and fixed it? Not unless you had a post-sale warranty.

The legal term is "caveat emptor" - buyer beware. It's the buyer's legal responsibility to ensure that what he's buying is sound. Only a post-sale warranty gives the buyer any recourse against problems, and most people trading in don't have the legal responsibility for a vehicle inspected by qualified professionals who subsequently find problems. Tell the dealer "tough luck" and walk away. The problem is his, due to the incompetence of his receiving inspectors.

Tags
roo, roof