Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Trade in with a bad roof!

So we just traded in our old camper for a newer one. The dealership called me today and said that the roof on our trade in was completely rotted. They wanted to know if we knew about this. I honestly had no clue. I had been up there the last two years of owning it and have experienced no problems at all. He dealer said he was basically screwed because we have already signed all paperwork and picked up our new camper. He said he would call me back tomorrow to discuss things.

What should I expect? Will I have to pay anything or should I?

The dealer knows he is in trouble because everything has been finalized. Thoughts/Suggestions?

2011 Forest River Flagstaff Classic 831KRSS
2011 Coleman 267BH Fifth Wheel
2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Personally, they had to oppurtunity to inspect the trailer before the sale. I know my last trailer had some leaks that were repaired and every dealer would give me a rough idea however, they said before we sign on any trailer or you sign finalizing the trade, we go over the trailer anyway just to ensure it's in line with what you mentioned as the condition.

Obviously, in your case, you didn't know about the roof problem. It wasn't like you were being dishonest. They have the ability and resources to check out your trailer just as much as you have the ability to check out the new one.

If they didn't do that, then I would say it's on them.

If you don't have any ties to the dealer for anything, then I wouldn't worry about it even though they may pester you. I would just keep reiterating to them that they had to oppurtunity to check it out, you are sorry it happened but, you had no knowledge of any prior problems.

2012 Keystone Sprinter
Still sticking around for the good people and advice.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Site Team
Read over your paperwork, unless there is a clause that says they can coma back to you if there is a unknown issue at signing, it is on them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
The only real issue you may have is if you need warranty (assuming it still has a warranty), they may be slow to repair it.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Honestly, if your new camper had a bad roof and you didn't discover it until after getting it off the lot, do you think he would give you your money back? Especially if there was no warranty? However, it depends on what your conscious dictates. Myself I would ask him to see the proof and offer some form of small payment. That's more than he would offer you.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Your fine. This guy is a dealer and very knowledgeable in RV's. It is a risk all dealers take. That is why they give you crap for a trade. They need to cover the cost of an occasional situation like this.

You did nothing wrong and he failed to properly inspect the RV. His fault. Not yours.

Buyer beware applies to all.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Like others have said they had a chance to inspect before the deal happened its there baby now
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
When I traded mine, we discussed the trade, what I knew was wrong, etc. before I brought it up there.

Once we came to an agreement and financing was arranged we signed documentation stating that my trade was as declared and once appraised in person the trade would be final.

I towed it up and they did my PDI while they inspected my trade. A short time later they came to me with some paperwork to sign saying that the trade was as described and the offer was finalized.

It's done. That was their chance to find anything wrong I didn't declare, while I would feel bad it's their, specifically the inspectors, problem.

Oddly enough, the one thing that was a problem was my awning fabric. Mechanically the awning was fine, but at the top the part that rots on all of them was in rough shape. When they looked at it they tried to give me grief about it. My answer was "I told you about it."

Feel bad for them and all, but that's a business risk and if they didn't catch it when you traded, honestly, it's their problem.

I was totally honest, presumably you were too. Frankly, they should have looked closer before signing the line. They're buying a used unit as is, if you bought an as is unit they wouldn't do anything for you.
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
trading with bad roff

when I traded in mine the first thing checked was the roof! it sound likes like your dealer dropped the ball and now putting the touch on you,let us know how things turn out good luck
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
They didn't even do an inspection on the trade in until today (4 days after the deal). We brought it to them the day we picked up the new one.

2011 Forest River Flagstaff Classic 831KRSS
2011 Coleman 267BH Fifth Wheel
2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote

roo, roof