Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Tree fell on RV

Big winds here Saturday night into Sunday (I'm outside of Allentown, PA). Yesterday morning, when I was out with the dogs around 8:45am, I heard a loud CRACK as a gust blew up - and looked to our driveway just in time to see a BIG piece of an old pine tree break and fall on our RV (a 2010 Sunseeker 3120DS) then on the hood of my car. And our camping season is supposed to start this weekend!

There are two punctures in the roof - one of them has a probably 14" long branch through it into our closet, the other is a hole with a piece of branch - maybe 2-3" in diameter. Called insurance and thankfully we are covered with "fallen objects" as part of our policy. I covered it twice and taped it all shut in an effort to keep the rain out today.

My question: has anyone experienced this, and do you think we will need a full roof replacement? I'm hoping, once the insurance guys come out, I can Dicor a piece of aluminum on it and use some eternabond tape on the edges to get us through the season or at least to a spot where someone can repair it for us.

I'm going to try and post a picture of what it looks like inside the closet. I'm heartbroken. We've been talking about getting a bigger RV with bunks to better fit our growing family, and I'm afraid this will really make the trade in/resale value take a nosedive.

Any advice or words of encouragement greatly appreciated!
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #2

oh my, i would be heartbroken too. hopefully you can patch it enough so it does not get wet inside and the patch holds until repairs can be made.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

I feel your pain. I have had a couple of RV's totaled out due to weather over the years. However in every case I came out ahead after the insurance settlement.

Protect it the best you can and wait on the insurance settlement. Then you will have a few more options. Given the age of the unit I suspect that a decent overall DIY repair isn't going to hurt the value that much. If the damage is bad enough the insurance company may total the unit.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

Been there....had the same thing happen 6 years ago albeit on a Bounder.

Mine was totaled because the cost of replacing the entire roof was more than 50% value of the MH.

To fix it properly they would have had to remove the entire roof and replace the wood underlayment where the branches came through verses just some patching....plus new metal roof and an AC.

Then replace the inside ceiling in the MH where it was punctured. It adds up quick....get any water inside on the carpet..yep replace that too.

By the time you added all that up it was a total.

Now they paid close to market value and then let me buy it back for a $1500.00. Which I did and sold it for again for $5000.00 within 3 weeks. I did not repair it I let the new owner do it.

Anyway point is they may total it due to the cots of fixing it right. Not that you cannot patch it with eternabond and dicor and have a leak proof roof yourself. Just that the insurance company usually costs out the proper repair verses a simple patch job.

They may even offer you the option to buy it back which can be worthwhile many times. Just depends. If your RV is fairly new probably not just depends on the value of your RV verses repair.

If they do by chance total it then make sure they offer you a real market value. They tried to stick it to me at first but I refused the offer and made them give me fair local market value. I had to submit to them about half a dozen local adds for RV's like mine to prove their offer was way too low....You are not required to take their settlement.

In the end I got more than what it was worth after I bought it back and resold it.

Good luck.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Sorry to hear this. I don't have much to offer in terms of fixing. I once had only a 3 inch hole from a fallen branch. I was just wondering who your insurance carrier is for the RV?
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies!

We have insurance through Good Sam, it's The General. $275 deductible and covered for "fallen objects." Hoping they don't total it, but also know it could be months til it gets fixed. We've got a few big trips planned (bagging this weekend - too cold with too much rain in the forecast to do even a quick patch) so I'm hoping I can do the "waterproofing" to get us through the season!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
New:

I am so sorry to hear that! On Easter Weekend, we had a sudden storm in Kissimmee, Mega Hail, did minor damage to mine, broken fridge roof vent, paint damage, broken outside speaker. Over 4+ inches of hail. I was much better off than some people.
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
jkoenig24

Bummer. Glad no people were physically injured. If it's not a "total", I'd recommend ProCustomInc in Elkhart, IN for repairs (once it's safe to move). They do amazing work. After they're done, you won't be able to see where your rig had been damaged! I was able to sleep in my RV while they worked on it during the day.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #9

Had same problem, same insurance, located in Charleston SC Good Sam said take in to Camping World for them to estimate and do repair. They replaced plywood vent and complete new roof over $5000 insurance paid. I paid $500. They did a better job then when factory redid it for bad membrane material.
Leon SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #10

Have a friend who had this happen to his TT. They totaled the trailer. He bought it back for Pennies and put a sky light where the branch came through to repair the hole. Or you just had a fire sale on 7 year old TT and you buy a new unit.

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynlanning View Post
Big winds here Saturday night into Sunday (I'm outside of Allentown, PA). Yesterday morning, when I was out with the dogs around 8:45am, I heard a loud CRACK as a gust blew up - and looked to our driveway just in time to see a BIG piece of an old pine tree break and fall on our RV (a 2010 Sunseeker 3120DS) then on the hood of my car. And our camping season is supposed to start this weekend!

There are two punctures in the roof - one of them has a probably 14" long branch through it into our closet, the other is a hole with a piece of branch - maybe 2-3" in diameter. Called insurance and thankfully we are covered with "fallen objects" as part of our policy. I covered it twice and taped it all shut in an effort to keep the rain out today.

My question: has anyone experienced this, and do you think we will need a full roof replacement? I'm hoping, once the insurance guys come out, I can Dicor a piece of aluminum on it and use some eternabond tape on the edges to get us through the season or at least to a spot where someone can repair it for us.

I'm going to try and post a picture of what it looks like inside the closet. I'm heartbroken. We've been talking about getting a bigger RV with bunks to better fit our growing family, and I'm afraid this will really make the trade in/resale value take a nosedive.

Any advice or words of encouragement greatly appreciated!
This happened to us at the beginning of the camping season 3 years ago. We got to camp in our new baby one time and then a tree limb went right through the roof. We called insurance and while dealing with them, the dealer, and all the crap, we patched the hole and used the RV for the season. Then we took it in end of Sept for repairs. The dealer lied to us and the insurance company and said they would fix it one way by putting on a new roof outside and new ceiling panels inside. Then realized that because of the bonding of the Styrofoam to the inside ceiling material that was impossible., they ended up patching the hole, putting on a new membrane on top, and part of a ceiling tile inside. They kept the full money the insurance gave them but the job didn't cost nearly as much as they got. Bunch of crooks. (Out of Doors Mart)

Advise: Don't accept anything that is a compromise and get a second opinion. I didn't and it was a mistake. If your insurance estimator is like ours he didn't know "Jack". With RVs you HAVE to know Jack.

Good luck.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #12

Great advise Evereddie! I would make sure to get a second opinion after reading your post... Thx.
bobquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #13

Update: the adjuster came out today. He seemed to know "jack!" Even advised to have the shop check the seals around the cap, as the MH is getting to the age when it may need to be resealed.

The good news: he doesn't think the branch hit any vital parts and there's not a lot of other damage. He believes they can "patch" it, because it's a plastic roof and is a clean shot through the ceiling - it doesn't look like wires or anything else are involved. If the shop we take it to can't get it done so as not to interfere with camping trips, we can do a quick waterproof patch ourselves until they can fit us in. So....hoping to hear the same assessment once the repair guys take a look at it. Going to try Harold's RV in Bath, PA. They have great reviews and this assessor said they do awesome work. There are two other larger dealers within an hour of us, but after experiences with them and reading the reviews for Harold's online, I think that's the place. Thank you all again for your advice, well wishes and thoughts. I'll update when there is one!
Old 04-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #14

I hope it all works out for you. Please let us know what happens.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #15

Here is your encouragement: I had hail damage on mine and they totaled it and I bought it back and ended up selling it and ended up way ahead. $$$

Advice: the insurance companies don't know trailers very well and I would be prepared to reject their first offer. Make sure they take into account everything damaged when making the estimate i.e. Be prepared to point the damage out to the adjuster every tiny detail. If I were you I would be looking to get it totaled out and move on to another trailer. I won't argue that it can't be fixed but I have good betting odds that it will never be as good as new. So in a year or two you might start having roof leaks etc.

Start making plans now to unload that thing and think about new or new to you!

These trailers are built so cheap with flimsy materials that roof damage like yours is just so hard to restore. So many things were put into stresses it was never intended to see that you just never know what may have bowed or twisted or been knocked loose. I haven't seen pictures but a puncture wound like you describe took some force to do.

2015.5 salem 30QBSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

I would not be surprised if there is underlying damage you can not see,

As posted above, prepare for the worst, if it is move on as quick as you can.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would not be surprised if there is underlying damage you can not see,

As posted above, prepare for the worst, if it is move on as quick as you can.
Yes, that's my big fear. This is a Class C and depreciation is a [bad word]! Didn't get it in this weekend with our little snowstorm but planning to take it up tonight. Nothing from the adjuster yet - I emailed him Sunday and hope to hear back today. Not sure what's taking so long - he sat in my driveway for almost an hour after telling me he though he'd have it done and to me that night.

If it can't be fixed by our next trip in May, I'll ask them to do an aluminum dicor and everbond patch, barring any unseen damage!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #18
MCTroy

X2 that on the skylight. A friend had a limb poke a hole in his camper. They put a skylight on and love the added light. Good luck. This will all work out. Glad no one was in the trailer when that happened.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #19

I just emailed the insurance adjuster about this same thing. The thing is, the stick is through into the closet! But hey, there have been skylights in WEIRDER places, right??? It would definitely work/fit. I'm going to try and post another picture, but I'm having issues (maybe I need to go read some FAQS!). Thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #20

Picture hopefully attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	104615