Old 03-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #41
Head Rambler

Some shade cloth would probably work well. You could hang it vertically in strips and that'd allow you to enter and exit easily.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #42

Purchased & Built in 11 Days

Here are the pics of my new Carolina Carport that was built on Friday March 11. It is a 18X36X11 that has a brown roof, tan sides, & brown trim. I ordered and paid the down payment on Feb. 29. With all the feedback from forum members, I was worried on how long it would take. I don't know if it was because I live in Southeast Georgia where the weather is always good or if it was for some other reason. Thanks for all the feedback & pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18X36X11 Carolina Carport 014.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	101718   Click image for larger version

Name:	18X36X11 Carolina Carport 015.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	101719   Click image for larger version

Name:	18X36X11 Carolina Carport 016.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	101720   Click image for larger version

Name:	18X36X11 Carolina Carport 020.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	503.1 KB
ID:	101721  

Old 07-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #43
Usually Confused Member

Finally got around to pouring two 1.5x5' concrete pads for the TT tires to sit. Seemed like the gravel in the carport was always shifting. Had to constantly put blocks (little ones to 1 inch thick) to get the TT perfectly level. Now I can just drive in (it's a pull-through) and unhook. Cost less than $40.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #44

Please make sure yer new rv port is securely anchored. Next door neighbor just had his new one destroyed. High winds picked it up n left it atop the oak trees at the sick of his property. Just ahead a up
Old 08-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdrvr59 View Post
Please make sure yer new rv port is securely anchored. Next door neighbor just had his new one destroyed. High winds picked it up n left it atop the oak trees at the sick of his property. Just ahead a up
EXACTLY!

I was just telling a buddy yesterday about him ordering his new carport and not forgetting to order the ground anchors that are extra.

He had stated they were $25 a piece. I stated..."Yep, and worth every dollar too"!

Anchors, of some sort, are definitely a must no matter whether it be on ground or concrete. These carports can be like wind sails when in flight.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #46
Usually Confused Member

Around my area every dealer I talked to had anchors included with the install. One two-foot anchor set between each vertical post. Mine has a total of 16. Wind rated to 140 mph.

I'm pretty sure anchors are required to meet code no matter where you live. Charging extra is a rip off, but from what I learned the "carport" industry is flooded with scam artists.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Around my area every dealer I talked to had anchors included with the install. One two-foot anchor set between each vertical post. Mine has a total of 16. Wind rated to 140 mph.

I'm pretty sure anchors are required to meet code no matter where you live. Charging extra is a rip off, but from what I learned the "carport" industry is flooded with scam artists.

Yes, all Carports do come with straight anchors, included in the price. But, ( and I should have stated it ) the anchors I was referring to my buddy had the additional charge, if you wanted better anchors. The Screw Down anchors, screwed into the ground, like they use on Mobile Homes. This is a better overall anchor for stability and strength, than just the straight ones that come with them, especially in high wind areas.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #48
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
Yes, all Carports do come with straight anchors, included in the price. But, ( and I should have stated it ) the anchors I was referring to my buddy had the additional charge, if you wanted better anchors. The Screw Down anchors, screwed into the ground, like they use on Mobile Homes. This is a better overall anchor for stability and strength, than just the straight ones that come with them, especially in high wind areas.
The ones used on mine were, I think, screw down. They had to turn them 90 degrees after every third sledge hit. When the anchor was about ⅓ down they had a really long steel thingy that had to be used to turn the anchor. Since the ground here is mostly red clay I think it was overkill. There's a straight grounding rod (five feet) that lifted my Kubota tractor front end when I tried to pull it up.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The ones used on mine were, I think, screw down. They had to turn them 90 degrees after every third sledge hit. When the anchor was about ⅓ down they had a really long steel thingy that had to be used to turn the anchor. Since the ground here is mostly red clay I think it was overkill. There's a straight grounding rod (five feet) that lifted my Kubota tractor front end when I tried to pull it up.

Same here with the screw downs. The guys that installed mine had a machine that screwed it down into the ground. They manually screwed them down so far and then they set the machine on top of the anchors and the machine did the grunt work. Took a good 15-20 minutes slowly screwing it into the ground. Them babies aren't coming out.

Oh man! That Red Clay is a PITA to pull out of. You're probably right on the overkill, cause when the ground is dry "ain't nothing come out of it"! LOL. There have been times when I had to use my ingenuity and my 3 ton hydraulic jack to remove stuff from the ground. IT WAS SCHTUCK! LOL