Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #1

uh oh, looks like the skylight leaked :(

I hate that. I just put down that tape and now it's leaking again. So tell me, it's going to be super hard to take that tape off isn't it.....

I guess I need to replace the skylight, but I'm so afraid that when I try to lift up that newly put down tape the rubber roof is going to come with it.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

Depends on the tape used.

EternaBond?

Given that it is fresh applied it might come right off, did you press seal it hard?

Old 03-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

A hair dryer or heat gun will make it easier with a putty knife.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJB View Post
I hate that. I just put down that tape and now it's leaking again. So tell me, it's going to be super hard to take that tape off isn't it.....

I guess I need to replace the skylight, but I'm so afraid that when I try to lift up that newly put down tape the rubber roof is going to come with it.
Bigger skylight and wider roll of Eternabond??
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

Yes Eternabond, the 4 inch wide. I pressed it down with a soft cloth and I mashed it. I got better movement with a cloth. I'm going up there today to take a look.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

https://youtu.be/AGiKusd5r8A

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

I found where the water got in, but I surely don't know how. I pressed all around but when I got to the outer side, water skwooshed out.
I took a good look at that round rubber seal thingy on the slides. What is that made of? It's melting. You touch it and you get rubber goo on your finger. It all has to go. gads. I've never seen anything like that. Is it just me or does anyone else believe they don't make anything to stick around very long?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
I found where the water got in, but I surely don't know how. I pressed all around but when I got to the outer side, water skwooshed out.
I took a good look at that round rubber seal thingy on the slides. What is that made of? It's melting. You touch it and you get rubber goo on your finger. It all has to go. gads. I've never seen anything like that. Is it just me or does anyone else believe they don't make anything to stick around very long?
It's what I sent you the other day. It degrades with time, and it is possible the prior owner used silicone or petroleum-based dressings on it = mistake as these accelerate degradation.

Glad you found the breech. Try warming up the Eternabond with a hairdryer and working it down again. Bonds the best when surface is 70-75 degrees it seems.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
It's what I sent you the other day. It degrades with time, and it is possible the prior owner used silicone or petroleum-based dressings on it = mistake as these accelerate degradation.
They must have. I've never seen rubber melt like that when you touch it. Not going to be fun taking it off. I'm going to check with Forest River tomorrow on what the correct products I need to reapply and get the right size. I just hope I get a seasoned employee and get the right info the first time. Good news is I checked that straight flap looking seal that was under it and it's ok. Well the spot I checked it was. The video I watched on replacing it........I'm thinking the d shaped seal was opposite the flap seal? I'll look again.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
They must have. I've never seen rubber melt like that when you touch it. Not going to be fun taking it off. I'm going to check with Forest River tomorrow on what the correct products I need to reapply and get the right size. I just hope I get a seasoned employee and get the right info the first time. Good news is I checked that straight flap looking seal that was under it and it's ok. Well the spot I checked it was. The video I watched on replacing it........I'm thinking the d shaped seal was opposite the flap seal? I'll look again.
Oh, so your bulb on the slide out is gummed too? This is the seal at the trailer wall with the flap (that's the wiper). So, not just that D seal you pointed out in the photo on the slide out itself... If this is the case, that bulb is a different material and easy to replace. Biggest pain is the edge of it caulked to the trailer side. Otherwise, it snaps onto the wiper.

Tags
leak, light