Old 01-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Out of Order

Undercarriage cover coming apart

I have a cheapo undercarriage cover that is bolted to the frame and covers the bottom part of the trailer. It is made from cheap corrugated plastic and is starting to tear after 2 years. I'm thinking Gorilla Tape or some other product to patch it before it falls off completely. Thoughts or ideas for strengthening??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_101534.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	160477  

todtc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #2

That's disappointing. One could run some strips of metal or maybe angle or box tubing from side to side every couple of feet to hold it up. I would think the chloroplast tape or Gorilla tape would "re-seal" the area.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Out of Order

Good thoughts. Iím hesitant to drill into the frame for supports but maybe some small self tapping screws would be ok.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Site Team

There is very little downward force on the Coroplast sheet unless a tank sagged or there was water on it. Is it possible something failed causing weight in the covering? I would remove the existing fastener screws, mark the hole positions on the side of the frame rail, then get a 1-2" wide aluminum strip drill it to match the holes in the frame and then after running a bead of exterior construction foam the length of the frame rail, reinstall the Coroplast using the aluminum strip as a furring strip. I would try to save the existing Coroplast as you will find out if you try to replace it, it is not "cheap".

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Out of Order

Thank you Flybob...it does not appear as though anything has come loose but with the covering in place itís hard to tell. I need to repack the bearings next week so Iíll get underneath and really take a look and feel for anything loose. The tearing is just in two places on the passenger side of the rig near the frame rail which looks to be the area of highest stress.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
Just A Member

You may want to pull it down enough to peak inside. They are known to have a lot of construction material left inside and bouncing around on the cover. When I dropped mine down I found enough screws to rebuild the whole thing and every wood cutout they made in floor.

Also I noticed coming home in the rain that water was getting inside. I had to reseal it along the frame. I bet that could be your problem also and that's why it tearing.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

This happened to my previous TT for no reason at all. A good inspection revealed nothing. Starting at the front most place where the coro-plast had come loose I removed all the screws from that point backwards. I then used two pieces of 1"x2" wood to clamp the coro-plast between them and a couple of rubber bungie cords to pull the coro-plast backwards, somewhat putting tension on the coro-plast. When I replaced the screws I used "fender washers", easily obtainable at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. on the screws to give them a larger area to hold onto the fragile coro-plast. While the coro-plast was hanging I got some measurements to locate the frame rails that go side to side, marked the coro-plast accordingly and added new screws with fender washers into these frame rails to help hold the coro-plast in place. Worked for me
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Spence
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
You may want to pull it down enough to peak inside. They are known to have a lot of construction material left inside and bouncing around on the cover. When I dropped mine down I found enough screws to rebuild the whole thing and every wood cutout they made in floor.

Also I noticed coming home in the rain that water was getting inside. I had to reseal it along the frame. I bet that could be your problem also and that's why it tearing.
Mine has a metal strap under the belly and I did notice water dripping one day so now it has a 1/4" hole in the bottom of corrugation at the lowest spot so water cant build up
07 Polaris Sportsman
09 Yamaha V Star 250
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #9

"Factory authorized repair shop" put mine back on after drilling the pop rivets by self tappers in the same holes with big fender washers. Tears and seams repaired with Gorilla tape. Seems to hold
2017 Sandstorm 250 TH, with
8 wheel TST TPMS and
The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
Out of Order

So...got underneath and pushed up everywhere on the Coroplast. It moves freely with nothing having fallen down onto it. No water noted either. It moves up and down quite a bit so I'm guessing with wind buffeting it simply failed at the stress points near the edges. I repaired with Gorilla Tape, several layers, so we'll see how that does. I also found a missing screw from the auxiliary propane outlet bracket, through the Coroplast and into the frame near one of the damaged areas.

Tags
cover