Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
LIW

Underside Cover

We have a 2014 Hybrid (Coachman Freedom Express 21 TQX). The underside cover on the rear passenger side came loose (off) inexplicably last weekend. 2 questions i was hoping to get some insight from the forum on:

1 - is there something under there that i should be concerned about that would cause the cover to come off?

2 - any suggestions on the best fix? (duct tape, glue, something else?)

Appreciate your insights.....
LIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
LIW

underside cover (pictures)

pictures included here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flap3.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	206072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flap2.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	206073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flap1.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	206074  
Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

It looks like someone or something peeled it back.

Most underbellies are Chloroplast. Basically, it's corregated plastic. Does it look like cardboard but just plastic?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
LIW

appreciate the reply.

I'm not sure what Chloroplast is, but i would describe it as similar to the material on a tarp or the floor of a tent. It is brittle at this point and on the other side (driver) it appears that it is tucked under the metal siding quite well there, but not the case on this side.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

I think this might be the impermeable membrane they put under the sub floor. I don't see the chloroplast. To reattach I think I might try to use contact cement if you can get it clean enough. Then a few staples followed with the sealant of your choice.

Based on the photos, I'd be getting it sealed up or the floor will get soft. How is the other side or other areas underneath? Just noticed you mention the other side is tucked under the tin.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

You must have something different under there.

Chloroplast is typically used for yard signs, promotional posters, etc. It looks like corregated cardboard but it's plastic.

Chloroplast underbellies are held in place by Staples and screws which go into wood slats. Those wood slats are bolted to the bottom of the camper.

I would try and tuck.as much up in there as you can and then feel around to see if you feel the wood underneath. Run some Staples up through it to secure. I've also used short lathe screws like what's used in construction to attach wire mesh to a wall prior to applying tile.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 PM   #7

At second glance I think that Hoyt may be correct.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
LIW

ok matman, i understand what you mean by Chloroplast now and i would say it isn't that. I can feel the wood above it.

It's pretty brittle at this point (not sure why). Am i ok just stapling it up there and then putting some ProFlex around the edges or would it be ok to put some Gorilla tape or Flex Seal on it after i get it stapled?

Also, in the pictures you can see the metal edging there which is screwed in. I plan to take the screw out, put the flap under it, and screw the metal edge back over the flap to hold it in place better.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #9

Not trying to alarm, but that wood doesn’t look right...is it solid?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
LIW

Just went out and re-examined the wood - it feels solid where the cover is coming off as well as all the areas around it

The discoloration appears to me to be where the cover tore (or separated) from the wood.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIW View Post
Just went out and re-examined the wood - it feels solid where the cover is coming off as well as all the areas around it

The discoloration appears to me to be where the cover tore (or separated) from the wood.

[emoji106][emoji106] good deal
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover