Old 04-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Vent cover for Fan Tastic bathroom fan

We're just about to take delivery of our new Wildwood Lodge Destination Trailer 407REDS. The bathroom fan is a fan-tastic fan where the vent door opens automatically when fan is turned on. I'd like to put a cover on this vent so it can be used it the rain. I've used Maxxair covers before, like them, but I would think the fan-tastic vent door wouldn't be allowed to fully open because of lack of space under the maxair hood. Anyone install a cover that allows the door to fully open?
Name , model, comments on ease of install, etc. anything you can share would be appreciated. Not that it should matter but we're in Canada so if anyone did pickup parts from a Canadian distributor perhaps share that as well, hell the US $ is at $1.34 Cdn now.
Looking forward in getting our hands on the new girl.
Ywgbear

ywgbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #2

Hello from Ottawa. We installed a Fan-Tastic vent in our new-to-us 2012 last year, and installed Fan-Tastic vent covers for both - they're designed to allow the vent to open fully.

We went with smoke over the bedroom (where we installed the new fan) to keep the morning light out, and white over the bathroom.

You can check out the full write-up at Mods - Vent fan.

We do a bit of camping in the US. We bought our stuff at etrailer.com and picked it up on our first trip down.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

Thanks

I'll be looking for the Fan-tastic cover around the Peg. Appreciate the photos and install log. Nice job.
ywgbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgbear View Post
I'll be looking for the Fan-tastic cover around the Peg. Appreciate the photos and install log. Nice job.
Very kind of you to say so. A local RV dealer could probably order them. Amazon.ca has them (https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tic+vent+cover), but either the price or the shipping are stupid high.

Here's a Canadian supplier where the prices aren't crazy. Don't know about shipping though: RV Superstore Canada. Covers & Lids

Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Usually Confused Member

The included lid on the Fantastic Vent will still barely touch both the Fantastic and MaxAir covers. It's not a problem at all. My remote controlled Fantastic Fans will automatically stop when the lid touches the cover.

Since I installed the Fantastic myself they get their power from the switch that used to power the cheap fan from the factory. That way, I can open the fan then shut off the power to leave the lid open. Opening up the side scoop vent (toyhauler) provides a massive amount of air flowing through the camper while driving.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #6

Black vent rain covers

Hi there fellow RV'ers. I have a new truck camper, (Palomino 2902) that has a while roof color with black fridge vent and the camper is light grey in color with black accents. The roof vents are light blue in color. I have white vent rain covers from my previous unit, but am thinking of switching to black. My question is has anyone installed black covers and did it really cut down on the light that comes through and if so, would I be better to use what I have.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

Was that how you bought the kit with the bolts and pins ? No lock nuts. Thanks
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
Was that how you bought the kit with the bolts and pins ? No lock nuts. Thanks
Yep... the cover is easy to install. For pre-installed vents four screws must be removed and are re-used to install the cover hardware.

I wish I had close pictures of the brackets - they consist of a piece of flat stock with a small Z-bend in it - one end indexes against the vent itself and the other holds a captive pin, which has a hole for the clip at the top. The cover has four holes that fit over the pins and is secured in place by the clips. Washers go between the clips and the cover.

When installing a new vent I mark the screw holes where the brackets will go.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #9

I have 2 fantastic fans and both are covered with the max aire vent covers. Had them on my other trailers as well and they fit just fine. No worries.

Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, cover, fan, roo, vent