Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Vent Lid Deterioration

I have a 2017 Forester, and in May of 2017 my vent lids in the bedroom and bathroom were destroyed in a hail storm. I replaced them both (plastic, like original), and also added Max Air covers to each. Last week I noticed that the vent lid in the bathroom was cracked in several places, and upon further investigation, found it to be completely deteriorated - it crumbled wherever I touched it. I checked the one in the bedroom, and it is fine, just like new. I ordered metal covers for both, but the one for the bathroom did not fit, due to the fan motor. So, I put a metal cover on the bedroom, and put the plastic cover from the bedroom on the bathroom vent. Both are fine, now. My question is this: is there a reason the bathroom vent lid deteriorated when the bedroom lid did not? Is it due to the moisture in the bathroom from the shower? Also, does anyone make a domed metal cover that would fit over the motor housing in the bathroom vent? Thanks for your help.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #2

Picked up my rig brand new on April 7, 2017 and today was walking by my trailer and one of them vent lids was laying on the cement in pieces. I inspected the other 2 that are on my rig and sure enough they were cracking as well. I was forced to quickly replace them today from the nearest RV supply store because rain is in the forecast. For the future I want to put a much higher quality plastic or metal vent lid on them. I too am looking for ideas!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoth View Post
Picked up my rig brand new on April 7, 2017 and today was walking by my trailer and one of them vent lids was laying on the cement in pieces. I inspected the other 2 that are on my rig and sure enough they were cracking as well. I was forced to quickly replace them today from the nearest RV supply store because rain is in the forecast. For the future I want to put a much higher quality plastic or metal vent lid on them. I too am looking for ideas!

I found a metal lid on Amazon. Bought two of them, but had to return the one for the bathroom as it would not fit over the fan. The housing sticks up a couple inches. I would like to find a metal one that is domed like the plastic. I also put a Max Air vent over them when the broke the first time. They are nice because you can then leave the vent lid open in the rain or while traveling.

If you find a good quality lid that will fit over the bathroom can, let me know!
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

I'v already had to replace the one in my bathroom of my 1 year old puma . I just happened to look up one day to see a small crack , i figured a limb or something had fell on it while we were camping but after looking at it from the roof it was totally deteriorated it look like it had been in the sun for 20 years if i touched it it would crumble . The dealership gave me a new one but rather that hauling it to them i put it on myself it was easy but still what cheap plastic do the use ? I am going to install a maxflow cover over it maybe it will last and help the cheap one last also ...
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #5

All OEM vent covers I've ever seen are very thin and degrade quickly, even with a MaxxAir over them. Yep, made from the cheapest stuff they could find.

I bought some from CW when they were on sale and they are at least three time thicker and have lasted four years now with no degradation that I can see.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

Which ones from CW?
Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Which ones from CW?
Lots of different types with customer feedback here... and great service from etrailer dot com

search vent lid

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=vent+lid

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlynn View Post
Which ones from CW?
I think it was these unbreakable polycarbonate lid replacements, but I've slept since then

https://www.campingworld.com/unbreak...ent-lid-elixir
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent