Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Walking on super lite roof

I have a 2016 Flagstaff Super Lite. It is my understanding that the roof is a sandwich construction similar to the floor. I weigh 285lbs. I use to get on my old campers roof but it was a wood framed regular camper. My trailer does have a ladder but I'm worried I may be too big to climb it without damaging the wall or walking on the roof. My friend went up the other day to remove a bird nest but I would like to check the seals myself. I always did my maintenance on the older trailer.
Thanks
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

I looked at my post and I notice that I never really asked the question. Do you guys think I'm safe climbing the ladder to get on the roof and walking on the roof?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #3

Bigmurph,I will be truthful with you,we have been to the Flagstaff factory and have seen the workers who install and work on the Roofs! None weigh 285,but there are several on the roof at the same time! Now shoe size x weight enters into this equation and I don't know their or your shoe size! Several of the Ladders have a 300# limit! Youroo!!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm a big guy too and walk on mine.
I have noticed some 'give' at the places where the A/C ducts are channeled in so I stay clear of that.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

Thank you both for your input. I kind of figured the roof would hold because it seems to be made like the floor somewhat if I understand it correctly. My worry was the ladder. I didn't want to pull the back wall down when I tried to climb up it. I'll have someone watch the ladder to make sure it or the wall doesn't start moving. If it does I can just use a regular ladder like I use to on my old camper.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

I think I would just use a regular ladder IMHO. Then you have no worry about it. Some of the RV ladders are just not fastened to hold that weight. But all of them should have a sticker indicating the weight limit and I would think most would be around 300.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

I weigh about 225. When climbing my ladder it makes me a little nervous. It seems so narrow climbing and getting down. My legs and butt just seems to barely fit between the step width at the top. My motorhome that had before this TT had a much wider ladder. I also use a 8' step ladder to get off and on ladder. Roof seems solid once walking on it. I am nervous about heights anyway. I don't like using a regular ladder getting on/off my house roof.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
I weigh about 225. When climbing my ladder it makes me a little nervous. It seems so narrow climbing and getting down. My legs and butt just seems to barely fit between the step width at the top. My motorhome that had before this TT had a much wider ladder. I also use a 8' step ladder to get off and on ladder. Roof seems solid once walking on it. I am nervous about heights anyway. I don't like using a regular ladder getting on/off my house roof.
Time for a diet maybe?
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, roo, roof