Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Wash and wax?

I have a fiberglass TT and the outside looks like s%!^...Is there a good way to wash and wax it maybe to get some life back into it? I'm used to the gel coat on my boat but this doesn't appear to have any so there's no shine whatsoever. How often do you guys wash your trailers?
brockhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Steve & Phyllis

I try to wash mine every couple of trips unless it gets really dirty I wash it upon return home. Once a year I have it detailed while at the beach and they make it look like new. I use a wash/wax when I wash it between their waxing. Since I started using the 303 spray on the front I get very few bugs that stick.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
Member since 2013

Just did our V-Lite yesterday, used standard RV Wash-n-Wax from W'mart. Then we used Protectall liquid wax, and I was really impressed. It took additional grime off that I didn't even see when hand washing, and left a nice shine on the fiberglass gel coat. Went on relatively easy- we did a 34' TT in about 3 hours.
Mike-n-Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockhals View Post
I have a fiberglass TT and the outside looks like s%!^...Is there a good way to wash and wax it maybe to get some life back into it? I'm used to the gel coat on my boat but this doesn't appear to have any so there's no shine whatsoever. How often do you guys wash your trailers?
Paints don't really dry, they harden. As they harden they contract over time. Like a shiny balloon as air creeps out, becomes dull as the rubber contracts.
You can use buffing compound and a good buffer and go over your fiberglass trailer like people do on their Airstreams. That will smooth the paint and it will shine on its own. After that, you can always use a good paste wax. Paste wax has buffing compound in it which is why a white rag will pick up a little of your paint color. A quick fix is the spray on and wipe waxes that will "fill" the microscopic contraction (dulling) and make the paint shiny again until the spray on washes off. The nice thing is it is easy to stay ahead of if you don't mind the busy work.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #5

2x a Year (Spring/Fall) we apply Nufinish wax on the outside. Every other week we use Wash/Wax with Carnuba in it and the trailer stays shiny. Sometimes we also use Mothers Spray Wax in between washings if it doesn't need to be washed. I love having a mirror finish on the trailer and watching everything bead when it rains.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

This may sound weird, but I found out from another boat owner that Mop-n-Glo is great for the fiberglass boat so I tried it on my boat. The surface needs to be clean but then the Mop-n-Glo goes on really easily and last fairly long too.

So, after buying my TT new, I thought I'd try it on the roof and the sides. It works great and goes on quickly! So far so good.

Another plus is that I found a generic version called Mop-n-Shine at my local dollar store for a buck a bottle! They must think I'm strange as I go in there and clear their shelves off of the product!

And yes, I do use it on the floors too!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
FYI.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+rej...oat+fibreglass
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Most likely your fiberglass is oxidized like an older boat would be. Try a fiberglass restorer like Meguiars, Mothers, or 3M that are marketed to boat owners. Most of them have a 2 in 1 that removes oxidation and waxes at the same time. I also have a boat and swear by the 303 product once oxidation is removed.
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #9

Our dealer offered a gel coat which made ours look new. Glad to see all the products to keep it nice.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
RV Enthusiast since 1978

We wash ours after every trip and wax twice a year. We use "Gel-Gloss" brand Spray Wax. It's simple and fast to use. We have a 32' trailer and it takes less then 2 hours to do. Wax first thing in Spring and then in Fall before putting into Storage.

We had a 2008 Shamrock 233 that we did this to, sold it last spring and it still had that Showroom Shine......buyers thought it was stored indoors to look this good.

Lou

.....the big rolling turd II is back in the driveway for another season of travels!

Glendale 290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #11

I picked up the Meguiars Marine & RV Fiberglass Restoration System to redo the finish my 2006 Rockwood 5ver. I have a question but, I think I already know the answer. When doing part one The Oxidation Removal it is not a good idea to get it on the decals right? Also any other tips for using this kit would be appreciated.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I picked up the Meguiars Marine & RV Fiberglass Restoration System to redo the finish my 2006 Rockwood 5ver. I have a question but, I think I already know the answer. When doing part one The Oxidation Removal it is not a good idea to get it on the decals right? Also any other tips for using this kit would be appreciated.

Call Meguiars 800 #. They have the answers you'll need.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #13

Wash? What's that? LOL It's been a while, maybe 2 years or more.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #14

Keep 'em clean from the start - and they wax much easier!
4 JOHN DEERE TRACTORS
MANY COWS
LOTS OF DEBT!!!
Gina-n-Bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax