Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Water coming in through A/C ducts

Morning all,
I have noticed that when I drive in the rain, or when I wash my 31'-0" Forest River Sunseeker that I get water coming in through 1 (or more) of the A/C vents on the interior ceiling.
Am I correct in assuming that this is because the water is getting in through the roof mounted A/C unit?
If so, can I just travel or cover the unit with my winter cover to keep the water out?
Thanks for the help.
BMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #2

I'm thinking there's more to it than that, check the chalking around the AC unit and maybe put more around it. I wouldn't think that the water is coming in through the AC unit itself, but not sure, I'd be looking at seals around the unit. JMO Good Luck.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I'm thinking there's more to it than that, check the chalking around the AC unit and maybe put more around it. I wouldn't think that the water is coming in through the AC unit itself, but not sure, I'd be looking at seals around the unit. JMO Good Luck.
I agree. No water should be coming in. Also check all caulking on the roof and esp. the front cap which is a known problem area. Water can travel.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Most A/C units have a foam type seal that seals the outside unit to the roof.
It is possible the bolts that hold the unit in place are improperly torqued or the seal simply could be bad.

Covering the outside unit will not help. There is nothing under the cover that would allow water intrusion unless the A/C pan/frame was broken or rusted through.

Replacing the foam gasket is not hard work but usually requires more than one person as you have to disconnect the wiring and lift the unit to replace.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #5

The AC sits on a seal on the roof pull the cover on the AC and check that area for leakage. If the water is coming from the pan on the AC it would mean the the drains are plugged while you have the cover off clean these
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Site Team

There is a large compressible seal between the AC and the roof. If you remove the inside access panel, you should see 4 bolts that hold down the AC. Occasionally these will not be tightened sufficiently at the factory and they can leak. Check the four bolts. They should compress the seal about 50%.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Not familiar with your unit but if similar to mine, a fully ducted whisper air, it has developed fairly significant leaks at the two return air vents during heavy rains, even when that AC unit is off. I can't see or inspect the bottom of the AC unit from inside. I checked the foam gasket from the roof and it appears intact, so I suspect there's a clogged drain hole under the AC shroud that's allowing water ingress. I'm trying to get the mfgr. to authorize a mobile repair since we're on the road.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

In addition, the water 'could' be getting in the duct work from somewhere other than the A/C unit. The advice above to check all other areas of the roof are good points.
Most of that duct work is routed into the roof panel during assembly. It is possible water is getting in under the roof membrane and coming out the vents. I sure hope not!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

x2 on the 4 bolts.

When my 2016 Wildcat was only a month or so old, I got caught in a huge torrential downpour driving around Wichita Falls Texas. We pulled off the road and decided to wait it out in the front bedroom. I noticed a little dripping coming thru the right side A/C return air vent (not much, maybe a cup or 2 that I caught with a pot). I called the dealer to arrange to take it in for warranty. The service manager was very helpful and setup a date for me but at the same time he explained that those 4 bolts often just need a little more tightening and in his experience that usually solves the problem.

Once on the roof, removing the A/C cover is really very easy. Once cover off, I could see the 4 bolts he was talking about. I gave them each about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then put the cover back on. I cancelled my warranty appointment thinking I could always do it later.

Its been a year now and I've been thru a couple of storms just as bad as that one in Wichita Falls. Happy to report, no leaks. Not even a small one.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #10

Might experiment with Eternabond tape (4") around the perimeter of a/c unit. Might just solve the problem. Great stuff. Never travel w/o it.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #11

Tape Around AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
Might experiment with Eternabond tape (4") around the perimeter of a/c unit. Might just solve the problem. Great stuff. Never travel w/o it.
I think the use of seal taping around the AC could block the rout for condensation water to escape out on to the roof. The condensate drains out through holes in the bottom of the lower shroud and has to exit from under the AC.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water