Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Water Leak

I had a water leak that soaked through he wall in the right front corner of my tt. This happened only twice during heavy rains.

My tt is a front kitchen model, Rockwood 8315ss, so it left a small amount of water on the kitchen counter between the wall and the sink. The front wall in the corner felt damp about half way up to the bottom of the overhead cabinets.

My dealer fixed the water leak a couple of weeks after I first noticed the leak. The water had leaked through the screws in trim on top, on the right front corner.

So how concern do I need to be about mold and mildew inside the wall?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #2

Sounds like you caught it quickly and that's good. Can you get some heat in the area? Perhaps get the furnace going and keep the temps up in the rig for a while to try and dry it out. Make sure though to have a vent or two open so that the moist air can escape. A dehumidifier might also help. As long as the leak has been stopped correctly and sealed I think you should be fine.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #3

This actually happened last September. Temps where in the 80's at the time. The dealership does good work and I haven't noticed any leaks since they worked on it. I always keep the roof vents opened a little (I have MaxAir covers) and when I winterized I purchased a couple of the gallon bucket things (can't remember the name) from Walmart that are suppose to absorbe moisture.

I'm hoping this will be enough to keep mold and mildew from growing in the wall. The service manager told me there shouldn't be any problems. Looking at the wall you can't tell it was ever wet.

My warranty is up next month so I have the tt at the dealership getting a few minor problems fixed, so I thought I might bring it up again and see what they say. Just thought I would see what people on this forum thought before I did.

Thanks for your help.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I had a leak in the front cabinet (over the wardrobe) in my Surveyor. I re-caulked the entire front seam of my roof, to no avail. I finally pulled some trim down, and saw where the leak did not start at the top, but part way down the front wall. There was a tiny crack in the caulk around the marker light. Problem fixed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #5

I think part of the problem is the design of the front and back wall with the way the walls roll up to the roof. On the front of my 8414ss it is like a plastic material. In my mine if forest River would have put an expansion joint on top of the roof where the two different materials meet this could eliminate some roof leaks. The only thing that I can see is just caulk. With the expansion and contraction of materials moving at different temps with the way they are made now this can cause an opening in the caulk that some times one can not see until there is a leak that ends up on the in side. The worest case is that if there is a leak coming from this area and it is very small and never shows up on the in side then who knows what is going on in side of the wall.
I have a problem with my back wall as I have posted before, bubbles under the window. Before I take it out this year it is going back to the dealer. I showed them the pic and they told me it is black mold and this comes from a leak from the roof, again the back wall rolls up to the roof and there may be an opening in the caulk that I can not see and the funny part is, the wall has never been wet.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
Computer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I had a water leak that soaked through he wall in the right front corner of my tt. This happened only twice during heavy rains.

My tt is a front kitchen model, Rockwood 8315ss, so it left a small amount of water on the kitchen counter between the wall and the sink. The front wall in the corner felt damp about half way up to the bottom of the overhead cabinets.

My dealer fixed the water leak a couple of weeks after I first noticed the leak. The water had leaked through the screws in trim on top, on the right front corner.

So how concern do I need to be about mold and mildew inside the wall?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
I have a 2006 8314SS and i have a leak in the front right corner, which figures because this is the first year that i leveled the trailer for the winter. I noticed the carpet under the bed was moist a few weeks ago and thought water got in thought the side storage doors. I went up on the roof to inspect and there is some some bulging on the roof area in the corner and if i press on it it crackles. it is about a 2 foot square section. I do notice that the caulking is cracking. should i just put more caulk on it and let it be or do i need to peel back and replace the roofing? I called the dealer and they said it would be expensive to fix and that it is not under any warranty.

Thanks in Advance!

2006 Rockwood 8314SS Ultralight Trailer

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel

1996 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door Lifted 4 Inches. 5.7 V8

Thousand Trails Member www.1000trails.com

Out of Elk Grove California, near Sacramento.
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #7

Jimmy-D, that's your decision.

I always believed it's best to fix a problem correctly. Just caulking the area may keep it from any further water damage at best, but the damage you already have won't go away on it's own.

I know it will be expensive to fix and I feel for you, but I would have the damage fixed.

Gary & Trish

2017 Nights Camped - 4
Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D View Post
I have a 2006 8314SS and i have a leak in the front right corner, which figures because this is the first year that i leveled the trailer for the winter. I noticed the carpet under the bed was moist a few weeks ago and thought water got in thought the side storage doors. I went up on the roof to inspect and there is some some bulging on the roof area in the corner and if i press on it it crackles. it is about a 2 foot square section. I do notice that the caulking is cracking. should i just put more caulk on it and let it be or do i need to peel back and replace the roofing? I called the dealer and they said it would be expensive to fix and that it is not under any warranty.

Thanks in Advance!
Not sure about your product line, but the brochure on line for the Wildwood trailers states the roof is a "Seamless roof with 12 year warranty", you might try calling someone from Forest River to verify that your roof is not covered under warranty, could be a mislead from the dealer.