Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Water leak under awning

While camping last weekend we had our awning extended on our 2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK. The trailer was level. The A/C condensation was finding its way to the rain gutter and draining at the end of the trailer. I tell you that as a set-up for my question.

A quick rain shower popped up. No wind. In fact the sun was shining brightly. My mother used to call that liquid sun. Anyway, we were sitting under the awning and I noticed that a small drip was coming down under the awning and rolling down the window very close to where the TV attaches to the outside. So here's the question...where would this leak be coming from? It doesn't appear to be from the rain gutter. Would eternabond tape do the trick if I could find the source? Could it be the fabric of the awning?

Thanks!
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

We have the same TT and the same leak. There is a joint in the gutter above the awning. That's where our leak is. I just need to get on the roof to seal it.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sometimes awnings will leak at the threads where the fabric is doubled over and sewn along the back edge.

There are many treatments for the sewn edges as tent seams commonly have this problem. **HERE** are some from a Google search.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
We have the same TT and the same leak. There is a joint in the gutter above the awning. That's where our leak is. I just need to get on the roof to seal it.
Teamfour--how do you plan on sealing the seam in the gutter? Would latex caulk work or lapseal? Anything that has much of a profile will cause water to flow over the edge of the rain gutter.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sometimes awnings will leak at the threads where the fabric is doubled over and sewn along the back edge.

There are many treatments for the sewn edges as tent seams commonly have this problem. **HERE** are some from a Google search.
I have some tent seam sealer. I'll give that a try as well as looking at the gutter seam.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
Teamfour--how do you plan on sealing the seam in the gutter? Would latex caulk work or lapseal? Anything that has much of a profile will cause water to flow over the edge of the rain gutter.
I am going to put some ProFlex in the seam and hopefully I can smooth it down to prevent damming of the water.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
I am going to put some ProFlex in the seam and hopefully I can smooth it down to prevent damming of the water.
Teamfour, the BEST patch with the Lowest Hump,is a small length of "Eternabond",cut a piece and wrap it around a Pencil then lay it in a "Clean gutter with the factory GOOP removed that they used to span the "Joint/Crack",unroll and press the pencil for install! Done Deal! No Dam,and No Drip! Youroo!!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Teamfour, the BEST patch with the Lowest Hump,is a small length of "Eternabond",cut a piece and wrap it around a Pencil then lay it in a "Clean gutter with the factory GOOP removed that they used to span the "Joint/Crack",unroll and press the pencil for install! Done Deal! No Dam,and No Drip! Youroo!!
Thanks, great idea!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, great idea!
PS,you should also do the Gutter on the other side,they always seem to use 2 pieces of gutter and just SLAP/SQUIRT lap sealant to Bridge the GAP and form a DAM! I have fixed many "Dripping Gutters" this way,Good luck! Youroo!!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

I had the same issue. And it was the gutter seam. I cleaned the gutter with alcohol and brushed Flex seal liquid on both sides of the seam. Worked well.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Awning seam leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
On my trailer gutter there is a seam on each side. And on each side it leaked. Both had caulk which cracked. There was a small gap where the two pieces of gutter met. I cleaned the caulk out, sprayed a rag with Eterna Clean to clean out well and then cut a small piece of Eternabond to fit into the seam. The tape covers the bottom and sides of the gutter. Smoothed it out snug against the track and then applied a smooth application of Dicor to the edge. (Keep the caulk very thin so as not to impede the water flow). All of this was done from the roof side (inside gutter). So far, so good.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, leak, water, water leak