Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Waxes and roof protection

So first I will apologize because I know that this has been discussed a lot on here.

I'm still trying to figure out what a safe wax is for my 5th wheel. I know the biggest concerns based on what I have read is decals fading and/or peeling from wax and that we need to use certain ones that are safe.

We bought our 5th wheel (1st camper we actually owned but not new to camping) last October so it's time to wash/wax and protect for the season.

Second, we have a rubber roof and from what I was reading on here last night, some say to put a protection coating on it.. others say to just wash it a few times a year and keep it clean.

I want to make sure I am doing everything right to try to make this camper last.

I have someone who does detailing for about 8 car dealerships who will wax my camper for me with his professional equipment. He even mentioned to me about the decals fading from wax before I brought it up so I know he knows what he is talking about. He told me to find out what wax to use and he'll do it for me.

So although this has probably been beaten to death over the years, any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Camping!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #2

For the gel coat I prefer Buff Magic or Meguiar's. Both are easy on and off. I use them on my trailer and boat.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Probably lots of good stuff out there.

For my cars/truck, I like Meguiars wax but for Rocky, I start on the roof with Camco 41062 Rubber cleaner then wash her with Mequiars Gold Class Car Wash then wax her with Pro's RV, Boat, and Aircraft wax. (My rotator cuff isn't so good so I use a Porter-Cable variable speed polisher to apply it and just wipe off by hand.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

So happen to stop by my local Camping World.. I know quite a few of the techs as they come to my work for lunch several times a week for the past 5+ years. I talked to them today and inquired about this very thing and here is what they suggested.

They recommended a product they carry for the roof protection (can't remember the name).. said to wash the roof with soap and water and then spray it on and use a cloth or mop to spread it around and let dry (twice a year because it will be in 13 hour direct sunlight). Then to wash the camper good because it will drop down and stain the camper (makes sense).

They said that because the camper is so new not to worry about a full detail. They said to wash it twice a year with a gelcoat product they recommended that pours into the soap bucket. Doing it twice a year (yes I can wash it more often but use the product in the soap twice a year) will prevent me from having to wax it. They said if it was several years old, that is a different story because if it wasn't taken care of correctly since day 1, they would be recommending much more labor intensive detailing with other products.

I believe they were very honest with me and like that they didn't try to sell me on products that they feel I don't need (typical sales person).
Old 04-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

I don't what type of roof is on your Coachman. EPDM requires a rubber roof cleaner and come back with a UV Protector. My first TT had the EPDM roof and I used Protect All cleaner and followed up with 303 Aerospace UV Protectan.
Now with my Windjammer it has the Alpha Systems Roof they only need to be cleaned with Top Job or Spic-N-Span, no UV protection products needed.

For waxing the fiberglass, I like Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax, I even go over the decals. If the Decals are old, faded and edges rolling up that would be another story. I use a Porter Cable 7424xp with Lake Country polishing pads when applying.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

Your roof is probably an Alpha roof, give them a call at574-295-5206.

For my fiberglass I have found that Shuhold's Pro Polish is the best product to use. It goes on easy and wipes clean without a lot of elbow or rotor cuff workout. the first time I used it I got my buffer all plugged in and ready to go and found that it was easier to just wife it off with a towel. The product doesn't have any fillers so it doesn't create a lot of powdery dust. check it out at Shurhold.com/pro-polish.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
So happen to stop by my local Camping World.. I know quite a few of the techs as they come to my work for lunch several times a week for the past 5+ years. I talked to them today and inquired about this very thing and here is what they suggested.

They recommended a product they carry for the roof protection (can't remember the name).. said to wash the roof with soap and water and then spray it on and use a cloth or mop to spread it around and let dry (twice a year because it will be in 13 hour direct sunlight). Then to wash the camper good because it will drop down and stain the camper (makes sense).

They said that because the camper is so new not to worry about a full detail. They said to wash it twice a year with a gelcoat product they recommended that pours into the soap bucket. Doing it twice a year (yes I can wash it more often but use the product in the soap twice a year) will prevent me from having to wax it. They said if it was several years old, that is a different story because if it wasn't taken care of correctly since day 1, they would be recommending much more labor intensive detailing with other products.

I believe they were very honest with me and like that they didn't try to sell me on products that they feel I don't need (typical sales person).
How about some product information.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #8

I have a 2011 Forest River and the instructions that came with the ALPHA roof say to clean with comet, spic n span, ajax, etc. ... Use a soft bristled brush in place of a sponge. ... The Alpha Membrane does not require periodic applications of any product to protect it from ultra-violet or ozone. These products can often cause damage to the Alpha Membrane. If you have questions contact Alpha systems. ...
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Most roof manufacturers do not recommend any kind of roof protection and read your owners manual for what your specific roof recommends. Mine says to wash with spic and span a couple times a year. I try to do mine at least once a year also make sure to go up on top to inspect caulking seams and joints for cracks and even missed areas manufacturers missed when manufacturing. As for wax to each his own I use a turtle wax in the spray bottle and it seems to last a year and hasn't hurt my decals at all and I have used it on several different campers I owned. Spray it on and wipe it off no buffing and polishing required quick and easy. When you go to my campground and look at my rig it is one of the cleanest looking rigs there although I wash it several times a year to get the pollen in the spring and dust off in the summer. I scrub the camper with a long handled soft bristle brush. The awning I use a commercial awning cleaner I buy at wally world and a bottle lasts me a few years. You wouldn't believe the stuff that washes off your awning and how clean it comes out.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I'll get the info next Thursday and post. I'm dropping my camper off then to get some warranty work done and will snap some pics of the products they told me to use.

--------

Going to pull my manuals out tonight and read up on the roof to see what it says. Thanks!!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

I like this, goes on easy and it does last!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotchgard Marine Wax.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	73813  
Old 04-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Did a lot of research on line to fine a cleaner polish. I found on Amazon Wash Wax All product. My concerns were to find something quick that would clean and wax at the same time and not hurt my decals. This product is formulated for aircraft, rvs, autos and boats. It is easy to spray on and wipe off using a microfiber cloth. It is decal safe. I have a 32 foot Rockwood 8289ws signature ultra lite Diamond package. It does a wonderful job. It makes it really shine.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #13

IMO any wax is better than no wax, but through experience stay away from Cleaner/Waxes unless you have a white fiberglass TT that's oxidized. I had some Meguiar's Marine/RV Cleaner/Wax left over that I used on my 2010 white fiberglass Keystone TT. When I first got my Windjammer I grab my leftover Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax and started out on the "V" nose and quickly realized I was put fine scratched in the gel-coat. You only notice them when the sun hits it just right. I switched to Meguiar's Flagship, bought a Porter Cable 7424xp and those scratches are slowly getting polished out.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #14

This sounds good for fiberglass.Don't know a lot about it. Read it in trailer life.
Poliglow Products, Inc.| Manufacturer of Poli Glow, A New Concept in Boat Polish
Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #15

This otta give you a headache.
RV Decals and the special care they require
Old 04-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #16

So I just pulled out my manual to see what type of roof I have. It lists it as a Dicor rubber roof.

In the coachman manual it only gives a brief Care and Maintenance description. Besides checking for seams/seals that are drying out or cracked it says "A mild household soap solution and a soft brush can be used to clean a rubber roof". There is nothing else as far as the roof goes.

If I look at the Care & Maintenance chart, it says to "wash with warm water and mild detergent" monthly and "wax with liquid or paste wax" every 6 months. As far as the roof goes, "inspect and reseal as needed" every 6 months and "lubricate roof vent mechanism with light oil and clean completely" every year.

I guess I'll contact Dicor to see what they say to insure that I only have to wash the roof and don't need to put anything down to protect it.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #17

Impressed that I already received a response from Dicor this morning. They sent a document in PDF but here is what it says.. Seems nothing needs to be done but just washing it 4 times a year per their instructions:

BRITE-PLY; BRITE-TEKROOF CARE AND MAINTENANCE

Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your Brite-Ply or Brite-Tek roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special material.

Keep your roof clean.

Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually. For normal cleaning: - Use Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner RP-RC160C concentrate to clean complete roof or RP-RC320S ready to use cleaner in a spray bottle for smaller areas. (See CAUTION below.) - Rinse complete roof with clean water to remove any loose dirt or debris. - Using a medium bristle brush, along with the cleaner mixed with 2 or 3 gallons of water, scrub the entire roof.Rinse thoroughly with clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof or sidewalls of the vehicle. - For more difficult stains, you may use RP-RC160C in its original concentrated form. For stubborn stains, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane.

CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty.

Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery.

Beware of areas where fruit, tree sap, or harsh environmental fall-out may stay on the roof for an extended period of time. These coonditions may result in irremovable stains. If you are in these conditions, you may haveto increase the frequency of your cleaning.OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION;-

Carlisle Brite-Ply EPDM and Brite-Tek roofing membrane is specially formulated for exposure to the sun and natural elements. However, it can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Use caution when placing any articles or walking on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can be easily repaired using Dicor’s 401-PR or 402-PR roof repair kits. Contact your local dealer or Dicor Corporation.

-Cleaning lap sealant used around roof mounted accessories and railings: If soap and water do not clean the seal to your satisfaction, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to wipe away dirt build-up on the seal.
- Repairing lap sealant or adding sealant: If, after a period of time, the lap sealant needs touched-up or additional seal is needed, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to eliminate all foreign materials from the surface of the seal, let set for at least 15 minutes and apply Dicor lap sealant (501LSW, 502LSW, 551LSW) directly over the existing seal – allowing the new sealant to touch the EPDM and/or accessory surface.
- If additional UV protections are desired, apply Dicor’s RP-RG-320S Rubber Roof Gard Protectant immediately after cleaning.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Just dropped my camper off for my warranty work and snapped the pics of the products. Didn't realize till I went back today that the roof protectant is from the maker of the rubber roof although they do not say to use it in their guide they sent me lol.

Roof:

And use this for wash/wax combo if it is a new camper and going to maintain this.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:07 AM   #19

I would not use the rv cleaner and wax I tried some last year and have water spots on my windows that will not come off. I tried to keep the stuff off of the windows when washing but when you rinse the rig it is hard not to get the soap to run across the windows. I tried everything to clean them short of putting some mineral spirits on a rag to clean it off. I told the wife I will let them sit over the winter in the weather and hope I can wash the windows in the spring and it will be worn off. I do use an awning cleaner available at walmart and it does a great job to clean the grime off of my awning. I have also used a black streak remover commercially available on my old aluminum camper. It really cut down on the scrubbing when washing the camper.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:07 AM   #20

I'd be very cautious of using anything on the roof other than a mild soap/ detergent.

I prefer full synthetics. Easy on, easy off, long application life. I have found a lot of the quick detailers have a short application life span.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, wax