Old 10-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #1

Waxing a new trailer

What wax is safe and easy to use. I have read that some use Nufinish. I have also heard that some wax is bad for the decals. Any advise?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Site Team

I use meguiars spray on ultimate was. Spray on, wipe off. It was recommended to me by my neighbor who used to run his own auto detailing business.

asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I use meguiars spray on ultimate was. Spray on, wipe off. It was recommended to me by my neighbor who used to run his own auto detailing business.

X2.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
What wax is safe and easy to use. I have read that some use Nufinish. I have also heard that some wax is bad for the decals. Any advise?
My trailer is 4 years old and shines like new I use Nufinish 2 x's per year. easy to put on and take off. after I go over my decals with #303 aerospace, that has a great UV protector. After I wash the trailer when I wipe it down I spray Lukas to help keep the shine up. You can find it at Napa in a blue bottle... Word to the wise don't let it go it will be 3x's harder to bring the shine out...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
..... Word to the wise don't let it go it will be 3x's harder to bring the shine out...
So true! Waxing is hard work, but it sure makes washing easy. Once you get a good shine, it's pretty easy to keep it. I usually wax a side at a time so I don't kill myself and also so that I don't come to dread waxing day. Can't remember my brand of wax at the moment, but my local dealer recommended it.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
WFD

Meguiars also make a RV/Marine wax #50, comes in a blue bottle. Specifically designed for gelcoat finishes. It goes on very easily and comes off just as easily, great product. It seems to hold the shine a long time and water beads up nicely for a pretty long time. I got mine at Menard's. Have also seen it in Canada at Canadian Tire in their marine section.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #7

My '07 Surveyor is looking a little tired. Oxidation abounds.
So, I washed it down really good, but it's still not shiny.
I had purchased some fiberglass finish restorer to work on an old boat I had, but never used it, so I though, what the heck, I'll try it on the TT.
What a difference it makes. Looks like new.
Funny thing, though, when I was using it, I thought, I remember that smell... and I used it without gloves. When I finished the test spot, my fingernails were nice and shiny, my wife even commented how nice they looked, lol.
Then I remembered the smell. Those of you who may have been in the Navy as low-life enlisted, like me, probably did your share of "sweep, swab, wax, buff". It's liquid floor wax, no mistaking it.
Now, I don't know if the folks I bought it from have figured that out and are just repackaging liquid floor wax as fiberglass refinisher and charging a huge price for it, but it does look really good.
We'll see how long it lasts. I may get some Armstrong wax with UV protectant in it to put on the old boat.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

I read on the FR Forum a few months ago that there are a lot of waxes that are harmful to the decals on trailers! I have used NuFinish polish on my cars and trucks for years and like it very much. But I could not find any info that it would not harm the decals. The polish that I chose was Shurhold's Pro Polish on recommendations from other on the forum. It goes on very easy and come off even easier and shines! I bought mine at a local West Marine store. It cost more than NuFinish but I also think its a much better product.
It took me around 3 or 4 hours to do my entire Rockwood Roo 21SS!
2016 Rockwood, ROO 21SS, pulled by a 2015 F150 XT, Super Cab, 2.7L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 6-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Tow package & integrated trailer brake. 7,600 lb. tow capacity. 145 wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

Maybe I'm the first to quote myself (can't edit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
So true! Waxing is hard work, but it sure makes washing easy. Once you get a good shine, it's pretty easy to keep it. I usually wax a side at a time so I don't kill myself and also so that I don't come to dread waxing day. Can't remember my brand of wax at the moment, but my local dealer recommended it.
I like the wax so much that I took a picture of it.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #10

NuFinsh

Use NuFinish on everything cars, truck, fifth wheel, and even lawn mower and snow blower. Haven't seen any issue with decals. It goes on easy and buffs off easy. Doesn't have much abrasive so you need to wash good prior to applying. Only issue I have seen is on dark colors if you don't buff it off well you might see white streaks. Also at the decal edge it can be hard to buff off, usually use a toothpick and thin cloth around edge of decals.

Tags
trailer, wax