Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Exclamation Waxing And cleaning

Does anyone out there wax there camper with a polisher and a pad or do you just do it by hand. And What do you wash your camper with before you wax it? I was thinking about using Bleach is that a bad idea I also herd that LA's totally awesome, and Spic and Span. If you wax your camper what kind of Buffer do you use, I was looking at the Dewalt buffer. If you do wax your camper can you give me the steps and tools you use to wax the camper. Thanks!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWP849_1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	33737  
Attached Images

Matthewsbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Just a thought....I would stay away from the high speed rotary. If you have ever buffed a car with one of these, one slip up can burn through the paint. Lots more real estate on a RV. I would go with a good orbital buffer like the porter cable models. They are had to find locally but easily found on Amazon and Autogeek.net. It did wonders for my black Car and really does a good job with polishing without fear of buring thorugh the paint. Get the heavy weight adder if you can. Dont use bleach....just get a good car type wash and spend a few bucks and time getting the bug guts off. Get very light pads with little to no cut and had apply the wax and remove with the buffer. It will turn out awesome!

PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher - Amazon.com
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Just a thought....I would stay away from the high speed rotary. If you have ever buffed a car with one of these, one slip up can burn through the paint. Lots more real estate on a RV. I would go with a good orbital buffer like the porter cable models. They are had to find locally but easily found on Amazon and Autogeek.net. It did wonders for my black Car and really does a good job with polishing without fear of buring thorugh the paint. Get the heavy weight adder if you can. Dont use bleach....just get a good car type wash and spend a few bucks and time getting the bug guts off. Get very light pads with little to no cut and had apply the wax and remove with the buffer. It will turn out awesome!

PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher - Amazon.com
Ya do not use a buffer!!!! the porter cable polisher is the way to go!!!!
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

I used a riobi 6" orbital polisher ($19.99 at home depot) and removed it by hand.

It was quick and easy and I didn't have to worry about any damage the high speed buffers can do.

Check out my post on Shurhold Polish.

2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109S
2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2

Home Is Where You Park It
cruz305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

do NOT use bleach. awesome did an ok job. We used an electric buffer and a buffing compound to get the black streaks out. it stripped the wax so finishing with a wax was important. We use the maguires spray on wax
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

Meguiar's Wash and Wax is all i use.Takes the black streaks off pretty good and the rain seems to bead off as well.Way to much surface for me to wax by hand,lol
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

I use Mop n' Glo. I learned of this method on a boating forum so tried it on my fiberglass boat and it works great! It doesn't give it the best shine but I think it was because of an old gel coat. I started thinking about my brand new Wildwood trailer so tried Mop n' Glo on it. It was fast and easy with no buffing! I even used it on the floor!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

You need a variable speed polisher NOT an angle grinder. I suggest you go talk to your local body shop and talk with them. NO bleach. Too fast and Ryan is right you will burn paint or melt decals. Get an old hood or something and practice first before you tackle your rig.

Speed and pressure are your friends and enemies, not enough and you will be there forever, too much and you have a big mess.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #9

I use the Porter-Cable polisher. Used with the polishing pads available for it, it does an awesome job, and you just can't damage the finish with it. Pads are available from aggressive cut for highly oxidized paint, to a very fine cut and a no cut. Bought mine from Autogeek.net - they also have the pads.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #10

Check out Harbor Freight for a DA Buffer. I'm looking at a 6" or 7" DA variable speed unit for $45 or so. I will probably end up just doing it by hand, though.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #11

I have used turtle wax wash and dry on all my trailers. It is easy, looks good, and do it twice a year.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #12

I have a ten and a seven inch random orbital polisher. I originally bought them to use the ten inch on the truck and van. I bought the seven inch to use on my fiberglass boat. They help but the down side for me is the wax loading up on the polishing pads and I have to constantly clean the pads off. The van's roof is ribbed so it's useless there but is very helpful on the sides and hood.

The seven inch on the other hand is too small and the pads load up too quickly. The ten inch is really too big for my boat so I just grin and hand polish the boat.

I use a soft paste wax by Meguiars and it is fairly easy to apply and rub off. It's not like the paste wax of yesteryear where you had to have arms of steel!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #13

I use the liquid Mequiars wax for fibreglass boats/RVs, and I do it by hand.
I thought about using an orbital polisher, but worried about peeling a decal off. And it tends to spit polish all over the windows and such, making more work.
It is a heck of a lot of work, but well worth it.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Awesome is a great product but do not let it get on painted metal and DO NOT let is dry on your camper.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Awesome is a great product but do not let it get on painted metal and DO NOT let is dry on your camper.
If it is that strong, might it not harm the gelcoat?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote