Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I saw those also while I was searching for the pics I posted. But they were listed as vent lids, not vent covers.
I don't know what the difference is between "lids" and "covers", the metal ones I got replaced my plastic one just fine.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #22

On my 2016 Forester, I added 4 vent covers. 2 were Camco and 2 were Fantastic vent covers. The cheap Camco covers are fine. The two Fantastic Vent (expensive) covers disintegrated after 1 1/2 summers. I called Dometic, who owns them now, and explained my problem. No questions asked, they sent me two replacement vent covers.
dyeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #23

This has been happening as well with my SKYLIGHTS. The area where screwed are is starting to crack causing leaks. I hope my roof isn't ruined. I'm going to be replacing them myself. From What I've seen its a pretty straightforward task. I'm looking at doing either a KIT like THIS or getting everything separately. We have 100 days of 100 degree weather here in South Texas that really does a number to RV plastics. ITs quite Depressing.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #24

Cracks in the skylight itself or is the lap sealant cracking around the opening and screw locations?
Self leveling lap sealant by dicor is used to fill in cracks in the lap sealant.
Which ever is the condition you may want to check all your roof penetrations considering the weather you're under.
My seams went from looking ok to visible cracking in one season but I had no leaks at least that I was aware of!
Good luck, even a skylight replacement is a doable diy job

Chris
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
Cracks in the skylight itself or is the lap sealant cracking around the opening and screw locations?
Ya, it’s not the actual dome part of the skylights, the flat surrounding part where the 12-18 or so screws go into roof. The screws are sealed but the parts all around seem to be cracking.
so do you suggest just using a self leveling sealant areound the whole thing? Or replace complete skylight?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #26

Yes, I believe you have a classic case of simple maintenance using self leveling lap sealant. I did this on my 2006 class c 32' for the first time this spring. But I live in Wisconsin where it's not consistently hot and I cover it in the fall for the winter so that's possibly why my seams lasted as long. I noticed cracks last fall and made it a priority this spring.

There are many YouTube videos that will show you how to do this. My guess is once you inspect all your seams you may find more to touch up!

I needed almost 4 tubes and it was just pure luck that is what I estimated and bought. You can build a full material list from watching YouTube's or try the Dicor website.

Took me 3 days duration. Day 1 wash the roof with rv roof cleaner, let dry. Day 2 clean all seams with denatured alcohol on a rag. Day 3 touch up seams.

I tried attaching photos I took showing before and after images but this site keeps locking up.

My materials cost me less than $70 And that included a new upgraded caulk gun which rotates and has a pressure release trigger.

Chris
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, vent, weight