Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Out of Order

Wet slide-out carpet.

2016 Wildcat Max TT with single slide-out at the dinette.

Last time I brought the slide-out in was in a torrential downpour at our Sierra Nevada house. This was around Thanksgiving. My son had been using it as a guest room and the interior stayed dry throughout the multi-day soaking. There was no possible way to dry the slide-out roof before sucking it in and we brought it back to the Bay Area before the snow started. I did dry the roof of the slide-out once it was back inside the trailer.

Forward to a couple weeks ago when I put the slide-out back out getting ready for a trip and noticed a slightly wet area on the floor in the shape of the slide-out. Reached up under the leading lip of carpet at the dinette and sure enough the carpet was moderately wet, leaving floor moist as it slid across it on the way out.

I dried everything as best I could and turned on the fans, believing some rain water water had seeped in from the dinette roof when the slide-out was brought in.

Uneventful until today when I again put the slide-out out for another trip and had the same issue. Wet at the leading lip of dinette carpet.

There is no visible sign of water anywhere else. I've checked underneath the rig to included the bottom of the slide-out. All bone dry. I did find a moderate amount of water trapped between the two top seals above the slide-out and completely dried those today.

My thought is that this trapped water was somehow making its way to the low point, which is the leading lip of dinette carpet. I've included some photos.

Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_113838.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	197161   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_113949.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	197162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190219_114241.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	197163   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	197242  
todtc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Team

That spot on the top photo looks like condensation.

Have you gone over the slide top with a fine tooth comb to make sure there's not a leak that runs down inside the wall of the slide?

When you first put the slide out, is the woven material on the bottom of the slide damp like the floor?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #3

Hi todtc318,

I am not familiar with your particular TT, but on one of my previous rigs I had the same issue. My problem was that a rim that ran above the slide out that needed to be recaulked.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Out of Order

Thank you for your replies. The woven fabric under the slide-out is dry, as are the seals on the sides. The wet area of the dinette carpet is well inside the trailer when the slide-out is retracted leading me to believe the water is/was being carried in by the slide-out from the area closest to the side of the trailer. I'll investigate further.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by todtc318 View Post
Thank you for your replies. The woven fabric under the slide-out is dry, as are the seals on the sides. The wet area of the dinette carpet is well inside the trailer when the slide-out is retracted leading me to believe the water is/was being carried in by the slide-out from the area closest to the side of the trailer. I'll investigate further.
I had pooling of water in my old Cherokee Grey Wolf. In the third picture that top seal was stapled to the outside of the trailer and then caulked over. Once the caulk began to fail the water ran in from the top center of the slide and depending on the slop ran to the edge of the slide then ran down the sidewalls. It is amazing where water will find a hole.

We had a leak in a Rockwood where a SINGLE screw in the gutter area had a pin hole in the caulk. This whole was almost to the extreme rear of the camper. The water appeared in a front linen closet 25ft away. It was running the length of the camper somehow.. Took me a month with a tarp and hose to find the leak.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Out of Order

Thank you! Problem located.

A huge thanks to all who pressed me to look further. Got on top of the slide-out and cleaned the top seal with mineral spirits only to reveal most of it had come apart from the frame. I'll reseal it today and remember to check it every six months or so.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top seal.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	197225  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by todtc318 View Post
A huge thanks to all who pressed me to look further. Got on top of the slide-out and cleaned the top seal with mineral spirits only to reveal most of it had come apart from the frame. I'll reseal it today and remember to check it every six months or so.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 AM   #8
Crookedread

One other thing to do. The water mostly pools on the outside edge of the slide out. Retract the slide out to about 6 inches from being closed. Use the slide dryer from Round Butte.com to remove the water from the last 6 inches and then fully close. Works like a champ!!
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide