Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
Green Horn

What do you guys think

Purchased a used 2015 silverback, everything works great, but I was on the roof the other day and noticed on the edge (roof bend to gutter area) I’m starting to get little tears and it’s loose, during our PDI I wasn’t allowed on roof to Look it over, also the plywood is not smooth in the area.

So here is the question, I called my Insurance Co and it is a covered just need to open a claim and “see if it bad enough to re-roof) Do now in beging of season or chance it and run all summer, Also does adding satellite and a second A/C help resale value at all, If they have to put a new roof my as well add those to the roof since camper is wired and ducked for it

This 5th wheel is a 5year Plan for us before we trade up
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #2

Interesting an insurance company is allowing a claim on a new to you used trailer.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #3
Green Horn

I always carry full coverage just for this, I didn’t try to go through my extended warranty company

Yes I have two policy’s
Old 04-24-2019, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Interesting an insurance company is allowing a claim on a new to you used trailer.
I agree. Previous damage. Kind of surprised they gave full coverage on a used trailer without an inspection.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Can you post pictures of it?

My first thought is to patch it with Eternabond tape and use it this summer then have it replaced during the off season.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

Not being allowed to inspect it prior to purchase (during PDI) would have been a red flag.
The Eternabond may be a good solution.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep... not being allowed on the roof should have been a HUGE red flag. They obviously had something to hide as you've found out.

Turning it in to your insurance could be far worse if your premium goes up or they drop you. There have been reports of both here with just one claim incident.

Depending on the sub-structure condition (whether the plywood is swelled or not) I would likely use Eternabond tape if there is at least 1/2" of area surrounding the tears where it comes over the roof edge. Any less than 1/2" and I'd have concerns of it having good adhesion.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

Seal it, sell it, buy something new. Do not go back to that dealer!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

Roof inspection / OSHA

Must be a new thing for dealers selling used rv’s. My neighbor purchased a very nice high-end 2015 TT from a dealer in Pataskla, OH. They refused to let him onto the roof, citing their insurance and OSHA regulations. He is young and had never purchased a RV before, so was clueless. The very same day he purchased it and took it home, upon climbing onto the roof, he seen that the dealer had not washed the roof. When he gathered the items to wash it and walked onto the roof, it started cracking. The young man weighs 175 and the roof was cracking on the first step. The entire front end of the rv was rotted. He immediately called the dealer and they stated it was an as is purchase. $25,000. He had to get an attorney and a few days later was allowed to return it. They stated they had no idea the roof was bad. Funny thing is, the following day the unit was back on the lot for sale once again.
Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Id be losing my mind . The dealer would probably need to call the Sheriff on me because I'd be trying to park the trailer in there front window .lol. I'm sorry this has happened to you good luck .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #11

I feel uninformed or something. I do not understand how anyone can get their Rv insurance to pay for any damage to their Rv except for an accident or incident from bad weather or vandalism or something like that. Not from defects etc. I talked with my insurance company about it and they said no way do they cover any repairs or damage from leaks, unless something like a tree falls on it or we get in an accident.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:32 AM   #12
Green Horn

All I know is and I'm not going to argue with them about coverage was told it's covered so I'm going with that, need to call the adjuster out for him/her to have a look and see where it goes to get fixed, I'd like to have the selling dealer do the work this way they can fix the other stuff at the same time under the extended warranty/service plan,
Black tank "clapper" isn't holding back fluids, like to replace with electric valve, fresh water tank doesn't drain correct, and push button light switches don't work correct
Old 05-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
Lame *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin211 View Post
All I know is and I'm not going to argue with them about coverage was told it's covered so I'm going with that, need to call the adjuster out for him/her to have a look and see where it goes to get fixed, I'd like to have the selling dealer do the work this way they can fix the other stuff at the same time under the extended warranty/service plan,
Black tank "clapper" isn't holding back fluids, like to replace with electric valve, fresh water tank doesn't drain correct, and push button light switches don't work correct

Good luck with this. Keep us posted, I'm interested in this thread and if this is covered please provide the insurance company.

From what I have seen from others I know and experienced myself with leaks the insurance co will say yes you have good plan and it is covered while on the phone. They send the adjuster which is a code word for inspector, and in thier report they will state natural wear, factory default or something like that then after having ones hopes up it is denied. Then you appeal and wait for another denial.

I had a vent blow off in winter. Called insurance and of course it was covered. Adjuster inspector guy came out did his thing. In his report it stated there was rot in the wood beyond what should be expected for a "one time event" and was an "on going event" Denied. Appeal. Denied. Escalated higher. Denied.

Repaired myself. Moved on.

I would suggest having a plan B for what you are going to do for your roof.

As the old saying goes. There are only 2 kinds of campers. Those leaking and those that will.

Best of luck and once again keep us posted.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote