Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

What does delamination feel like?

I think there may be a spot on my travel trailer where delamination may have occurred? However, I've never seen it in person and really don't know what it looks or feels like to the touch. Most pics I've seen online makes it look soft if you where to touch it. The section on my RV is on the streetside right at the back of the camper, where it meets the back wall, and runs about 8 inches down the camper (the back wall is fine). It looks like a bulge and is hard like the rest of the fiberglass on that side, there are no tears in the fiberglass. Sorry for no pics, I will try to put up some when I'm back at my camper this weekend. It's a 2014 Tracer 240 AIR, I've only used it for 3 and a half seasons. All seals look good to me.
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDP77 View Post
I think there may be a spot on my travel trailer where delamination may have occurred? However, I've never seen it in person and really don't know what it looks or feels like to the touch. Most pics I've seen online makes it look soft if you where to touch it. The section on my RV is on the streetside right at the back of the camper, where it meets the back wall, and runs about 8 inches down the camper (the back wall is fine). It looks like a bulge and is hard like the rest of the fiberglass on that side, there are no tears in the fiberglass. Sorry for no pics, I will try to put up some when I'm back at my camper this weekend. It's a 2014 Tracer 240 AIR, I've only used it for 3 and a half seasons. All seals look good to me.
If you look at it sideways you should see a bubble, that's when the gel wall separates from the sheet of wood. You should be able to feel it, it won't be smooth anymore. hope that helps... hope not...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Most delamination is a bulge.
It could maybe be described as 'soft' if you are able to push on the bubble and it gives some where the outer fiberglass skin pulls away from the under layer.

With that said, I've seen some imperfections in the side walls where it was bulged from a wood chip being under the skin prior to lamination or where the aluminum framing wasn't perfectly level. While it looked bulged, it wasn't delaminated.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Most delamination is a bulge.
It could maybe be described as 'soft' if you are able to push on the bubble and it gives some where the outer fiberglass skin pulls away from the under layer.

With that said, I've seen some imperfections in the side walls where it was bulged from a wood chip being under the skin prior to lamination or where the aluminum framing wasn't perfectly level. While it looked bulged, it wasn't delaminated.
It is true what you posted, I do take issue with the part of something in between from construction. If there was an area even 1x1 and it was sticking up, that means there is no bond between the skins. That is still delamination no matter what caused it to separate. Simply put delamination is the separation between layers....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #5

Tap Test

It is easy to determine if there is any delamination and the extent of any that may exist with a tap test. Use a coin about the size of a quarter and tap the surface. If the laminate is good the sound of the tapping will be like what you would hear when tapping on a pane of glass or solid surface counter top. If there is any delamination you will hear a very different, dull sound.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination