Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant.

I agree that any visible cracks should be re-caulked with the Lap Sealant to prevent any leaks
__________________

__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 46
I have seen the recommendation to use acetone to clean, but Alpha Systems, the maker of my TPO roof, specifically states to NOT use acetone on the membrane:
http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/files...structions.doc

I suppose one could argue to use it on the caulk and keep it off of the membrane, but I don't think I could split hairs that well.

Any comments on this?
__________________

__________________
K_and_I
K= DW and I
2017 Ford F250
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BigDTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 771
I would not use acetone it will make the membrane soft. Our insurance requires us to have the roof maintained yearly, clean/condition and inspected for leaks.

acetone is a pretty strong solvent for a rubber membrane IMO.
__________________
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
grhodes50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
I have seen the recommendation to use acetone to clean, but Alpha Systems, the maker of my TPO roof, specifically states to NOT use acetone on the membrane:
http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/files...structions.doc

I suppose one could argue to use it on the caulk and keep it off of the membrane, but I don't think I could split hairs that well.

Any comments on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
I would not use acetone it will make the membrane soft. Our insurance requires us to have the roof maintained yearly, clean/condition and inspected for leaks.

acetone is a pretty strong solvent for a rubber membrane IMO.
I also was going by the recommendations I have read about using acetone. I haven't ever heard or read of any adverse effects of acetone on the roof membrane, but whatever you use you should be careful since these are strong solvents.

I guess I should have posted what I actually use. It's 3M Adhesive Cleaner that I purchased from my dealer. The way it smells it might as well be acetone. I've used it on two different tt's and my pop up. I was told to use it only where I would be caulking and I'm not so good that I keep it off the membrane completely, but I've never noticed any problems.
__________________

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
(Kim)
 
Labzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 595
If we are careful and do no get any onto the membrane itself I think we will be safe, which makes me think that I will clean the caulking myself before I take it to get recaulked (if needed), so I can make sure of this.

Think I can use my nailpolish remover ???? It is mainly acetone............



JK
__________________
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
Kim
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
If we are careful and do no get any onto the membrane itself I think we will be safe, which makes me think that I will clean the caulking myself before I take it to get recaulked (if needed), so I can make sure of this.

Think I can use my nailpolish remover ???? It is mainly acetone............



JK
Why take it to someone - if you decide to clean it and drive it somewhere most likely you will have bugs stuck to it

just caulk it - you will save a lot by doing it yourself
__________________

__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.