Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

What's the best roof repair caulk

It finally happened. My roof leaked and shorted out an LED above my cab-over bed. I found it because the light was on and would not shut off. I was just going in the run my heat on "heat pump" mode to see if it worked. I pulled the light from the ceiling and there was a small amount of water on it. I went up on the roof and it looks like water seeped through the caulking in the corner. Water was still standing...and a little bit of ice.

I did a search and don't really want to spend the day reading. I never went to the library as a kid.

My RV is still under warranty but not really wanting to let others work on it. A new light is about 20 bucks.

Just looking for a good solution before I go over to Al's RV and talk to a salesperson....thanks in advance

Old 11-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #2

Eternabond tape for seams. Dicor Lap Seal for everything else horizontal. Dicor non lap seal foreverything verticle.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #3

I've been reading about Dicor. Lots of people happy with it and some not so happy...just like every other product ever made. I don't think the tape is what I need for my one piece roof. I wish I could remember what I used for a 5er I had a while back. That stuff was really good.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #4

Dicor lap sealant.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2001 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #5

My neighbor basically recovered his entire roof with blackjack white that is compatible with the epdm rubber membrane. He had alot of issues on an older trailer. Eternabond tape, then dior lap, then the blackjack.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
My neighbor basically recovered his entire roof with blackjack white that is compatible with the epdm rubber membrane. He had alot of issues on an older trailer. Eternabond tape, then dior lap, then the blackjack.

Kind of sure I would not want to peel that roof off....
Old 11-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Find out WHICH roof you have first. Eternabond is a good bet, that stuff will stick to any clean surface. We use a similar product for patching old commercial roofs to get the owners through until they can replace it.

Dicor is good, but make sure it is compatible with what you already have or you will create a bigger mess. I would contact FR for their exact recommendation.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

I don't think Eternabond is what I want. I just need some sort of caulk (probably self leveling) to seal a small bad spot in the factory caulk on the edge of my one piece roof. Probably going to use Dicor self leveling.
I don't know how many different roofs FR has, but contacting them for information isn't on my radar. The company is no better than the person on the other end of the phone. Sorry...no faith in them or CW for repair problems. I got stupid answers when I called about my microwave coming loose and just about falling out...yeah, "just put in bigger screws"
Old 11-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #9

I did last year the roof repair with Eternabond and Dicor self leveling and did a good job but the rest of the roof cannot be clean, it is full of exidation.
I tried 2 different stuff that is recommanded for RV but not good for my epdm rubber membrane.
Desprit, I tryed to clean a small spot with acetone and it work but, it is not recommanded.
Anybody had experence with this stuff?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #10
Newly Retired

I used to think that rubber roofs were the best thing ever but, they are only as good as the workmanship of the installers. Any seam between any strip or opening is subject to leak at some point. Its just to bad that the installers don't treat the job like their name is on it.
Can you tell that I found a couple of suspect looking areas on my 2016? Front corners where an ounce of water might sit, and "top to side" corners.

Tags
caulk, repair, roo, roof, roof repair