Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #41

I FIND this roof material warranty online

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...ofwarranty.pdf

I take part of this posted warranty info and publish it here...
BOLD FACE AND UNDERLINE IS ADDED BY ME

Quote:
Membrane shall be free of defects in material which directly cause
premature deterioration of the Membrane to the point of failure because of weathering (collectively,
“deterioration”) on the vehicle on which the Membrane was originally installed (“Vehicle”), subject to the
terms, conditions & limitations stated herein, for twelve (12) years (the “Warranty Period”) beginning on
the date the Owner purchases the Vehicle containing the Membrane or has the Membrane installed. In
addition, subject to the terms, conditions & limitations stated herein, Cooley agrees to provide a labor
warranty to the Owner for a two (2) year period
beginning on the date the Owner purchases the Vehicle
containing the Membrane or has the Membrane installed (the “Labor Warranty”).

2. If, upon inspection by Dicor, it is determined by Dicor, and agreed to by Cooley, that the deterioration
is directly caused by defects in the Membrane material, Owner’s sole and exclusive remedy and Cooley’s
sole and exclusive liability shall be limited to Cooley’s providing either, at its option, repairs or a
replacement Membrane; provided that, excluding costs solely and directly related to the Labor Warranty,
in no event shall Cooley’s liability exceed the amount paid to Cooley for the Membrane by Dicor.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if, upon inspection by Dicor, it is determined by Dicor, and agreed to by
Cooley, that the deterioration is directly caused by defects in the Membrane material, Cooley shall, if
such determination is made within the two (2) year period beginning on the date the Owner purchases the
Vehicle containing the Membrane or has the Membrane installed, also be responsible for removing the
defective Membrane and installing a new Membrane. Cooley shall not be responsible for any (a) damage
to the Vehicle, (b) damage to contents or to other structures, persons or property, (c) removal, installation
or other labor or material costs (except for costs solely and directly related to the Labor Warranty) or (d)
indirect, incidental, consequential, special, punitive or exemplary damages or loss of profits which are
alleged to be based upon negligence, breach of warranty, breach of contract, strict liability,
misrepresentation or any other theory of law or equity

3. This limited warranty is solely intended to cover deterioration that is caused directly by defective
Membrane supplied by Cooley and does not cover installer workmanship or other defects. This limited
warranty shall not be applicable and shall be null and void if, in the sole judgment of Cooley, Owner fails
to strictly comply with any of the terms and conditions of this warranty or if deterioration is caused by,
due to, occasioned by or relating to any of the following:
a. Damage to the Membrane by (i) acts of God, natural disasters, conditions or causes, including but
not limited to lightning, gales, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, hail, severe storms or fire, (ii)
deterioration by plant life, animal life, insects, algae, fungi, lichens, cynabacteria, mold or mildew or
(iii) acts of negligence, accident or misuse (including but not limited to vandalism), civil
disobedience or acts of war.
b. Preexisting conditions or equipment, or deterioration in metal work to which the Membrane is, or
may be, attached or by materials or equipment not furnished by Cooley.
c. Alterations or repairs made on or through the completed roof (such as fixtures, equipment or
structures) placed on or attached to the roof without first obtaining Cooley’s written
authorization.
d. Failure of Owner or its lessees (i) to use reasonable care in maintaining the Membrane with
approved surface materials and coatings (such as sealants and caulking) or (ii) to strictly adhere to
the roofing care and maintenance set forth in the Care and Maintenance Guidelines printed on the
reverse side hereof.
e. Misuse or negligence in the use of the Vehicle rooftop or its equipment.
f. Structural integrity of the Vehicle’s roof.
g. Use of the Vehicle rooftop for storage of materials, or damage to the Membrane due to any other
activities on the Vehicle roof.
h. Damage to the Membrane by falling or wind blown objects.
i. Changes in the original use of the Vehicle.
j. Deficient, defective or inadequate design, workmanship or labor in the installation of the
Membrane or other equipment or materials and the negligence, errors and omissions of
contractors and engineers.
k. Exposure to acids, solvents, greases, oil, fats, chemicals or the like.
l. Owner’s delay or failure to (i) take prompt action to mitigate damage caused by deterioration in
the Membrane or (ii) cause prompt and adequate repair by a Cooley approved contractor of
deterioration that is not covered by this limited warranty.
m. Fading or other changes in color as a result of dirt, airborne pollutants, biolofical agents or other
causes, including but not limited to natural fading.
After reading this document, I get 12 YEAR PARTS and ONLY 2 YEAR LABOR.

I am trying to ascertain exactly what good a roof warranty would be if I had water intrusion due to a deteriorated roof ( what other damage would a failed roof cause?) due to a defective (deteriorating) roof membrane.

It seems to me that water intrusion damage inside the trailer would NOT be covered under any roof warranty and would certainly be a bigger expense then just the actual cost to replace the membrane... effectively making the roof warranty just about worthless.

I conclude that it is on the owner of the trailer to do anything and everything possible to protect themselves from possible water intrusion anywhere on the roof because the roof warranty is VERY LITTLE PROTECTION... PERIOD.

This is the reason I believe that Preventive Protection using Eternabond Tape is so important.

My Solution BELOW...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #42

I have an awning with the aluminum cover attached to it.I noticed one day that at one end the two pieces were coming apart. I got Eternabond tape and reinforced the seam ,both top and bottom. Problem solved....until the rest of the awning disintegrates!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #43
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Our 2007 Cherokee 38P came with 3" Eternabond around the skylights in the slideouts, and also around the slideout seams.

As noted previously, you are not likely to need Eternabond until after the warranty has expired.

Larry

With this kind of logic it's not necessary to install an EMS until the warranty expires or use a WDH until you have experienced the results of not having one. In the case of not having a WDH may be the last experience you have.

Many forum members have applied Eternabond before the warranty has expired. Some as soon as time allows in the first season of ownership. Doing so offers a peace of mind. I am included in this group.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #44

Is it necessary to buy the $30+ Eternabond steel roller to apply the tape?
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire057 View Post
Nope. I always waited for a warm day and just used pressure from fingers.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #46

Quote:
No, I got a $10 one off of amazon, I just needed to loctite the screws.

I was wrong, it is $6. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #47

Did you use the Eternabond cleaner or primer?
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #48

Quote:
No, it is not necessary, but am glad that I did. It is a heavy, sturdy tool, and I liked using it. I felt it did a good job and made the rolling in easier. The roller is square on one edge, rounded on the other, and each had its place on the install. But I'm confident you can do just as good a job with your fingers or a wallpaper seam roller.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #49

Nope.

Quote:
Nope. I have used at different times:
  • A $2.00 wallpaper seam roller from Lowes
  • A deep-well socket rolled with the palm of my hand
  • A short segment of pipe, rolled with the palm of my hand
  • A timing-belt idler pulley with a handle (works great!)

Eternabond is a pressure-sensitive adhesive. You really do need to press it firmly everywhere to get maximum bonding. For a 2" x 2" patch of a membrane gash, you can be effective with thumbs, but for longer runs, a roller of some sort is best.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Did you use the Eternabond cleaner or primer?
I used it on a 6X12 enclosed trailer and used acetone and alcohol. I will be doing the front roof seam on my travel trailer when time and weather permits. It isn't leaking but sealant is splitting.

On the travel trailer I will use alcohol, the enclosed trailer had a metal roof so the acetone was ok to use, I won't use it on the rubber roof and painted front panel.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #51

I had to replace the side panels on my PUP. I used Eternabond on my roof seams and penetrations. It is a fiberglass skin and I cleaned it with Barkeeper's Friend first, then wiped it down with acetone, then another cleaning with Barkeeper's Friend. It left a nice matte finish to give the adhesive some "tooth" to adhere to. All I had was a cheap plastic wallpaper seam roller which was barely adequate. If I did it again I would buy a better metal roller, worth the $8-$10. I then wiped the Eternabond down with acetone and painted the roof and Eternabond with Dicor fiberglass reinforced roof coating also covering the edge metal trim. It was easy to apply with a trim brush and roller. That was about 4-5 years ago and still looks great. My roof is about 14' X 7' and it took about 3/4 of a gallon for three coats. Costs was about $175 total, best investment I have made.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond